New gear for a new diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

y2hog

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello everyone.
I'm looking at new gear to start my diving .I would like to know about the Sherwood- SR1 reg, Wisdow 2 computer,and the avid bcd. If anybody could give me some insight on these products i would appreciate it. Is this a set of gear for a new diver.
Thanks rob

Y2Hog.

The SR-1 is a great reg... Much more than you need as a new diver... But sometimes what you want is more than what you need. If you like Sherwood, the Brut is a work horse reg at a lower price point and I also like the Maximus (if every reg had the Maximus under arm hose routing and the Atomic 2nd stage swivel I would be in hog heaven)... As most divers who have been doing this for decades do, I have lots of sets of gear and have had good luck with Tusa, Sherwood, Aqua Lung and Atomic.That is not a criticism of other brands, I just don't own one of their regs.

The Wisdom 2 computer is what I use and I love both the large numbers and the digital downladable dive log. Read my thread "Bouyancy Humble Pie" to see how much the Wisdom 2 has improved my diving... I would repeat what I wrote but I do not want to subject the readers of your thread to a second dose of my experiences :cool2:

I don't have any experience with the Avid, so I will leave comments on it to other readers. There are a few very good threads comparing back inflate to jacket BCDs and backplates with wings. Give them a read before you make up your mind!

Keep in mind whatever gear you choose, the dive industry is a bargain. For less than the price of a good set of graphite clubs and a driver you can buy life support equipment that opens up a whole new world... Really quite amazing!

Dive safe and enjoy.

P

I think that you'll find that the majority of the gear on the market is very good (no manufacturer wants a lawsuit for gear failure). Having purchased a good amount of gear for me and my family (I am an equipment junkie) I would recommend the following:

Test out different gear from your LDS's rental fleet if you can.
Buy the best you can afford (if you buy cheap you'll only replace it later).
Consider various manufacturers and select the options you like best.
Keep asking questions

Good equipment will last you for years if you care for it well.

By the way, since you asked, I personally like a computer with a large display.

Happy diving

I have a Wisdom 2 comp. While I'm overall satisfied with it and the functionality I 'm not satisfied with console concept at this time. If I was doing my purchase again I would have bought a wrist computer and a simple pressure gauge. It has big pressure digits and very nice buttons which can be pressed even with thick gloves. If you are not going to buy a backup wrist computer at the same time I would suggest you to look at wrist computers and wrist compasses before you purchase. Try different ones at you LDS.

i love my wisdom computer

different people like diff things so see if you can try dive the equip first

goodluck

Own equipment is important but other than mask and fins, which you can re-user for snorkeling is not a good idea to invest in a regulator or a BCD if you have not even done a try dive. There are many cases of people turning up at open water course with full gear just to see it on ebay few weeks later

thanks to all that helped me try you figure out what gear to buy.
Thanks. Rob

Good luck with your upcoming class........here is the order I would buy gear in and why..............

I have posted this before..........my list assumes that you have access to decent rental gear from a reputable dive shop and you don't intend to drop all the money at once........

Mask - key is leak free fit and comfort (current favorite is the AL Mythos)
Booties - fit, sanitary, many places don't have them has rentals, without wide soles, so they fit a wider range of fins..........
See-me tube (DSMB) & whistle - safety (my favorite is Carter 35 lb Personal float and Storm Whistle)
LED light - again safety and lots to see under rocks and crevices (current favorite is a SP Fuego)
Paramedic shears - safety
Wrist Computer - makes diving easier.....also assumes you have a decent scuba watch as a back-up time piece (I/m a big Suunto Gekko fan).

The computer before reg seems to be controversial (or even buying one at all if you are an infrequent diver).......in my opinion the computer makes diving so much easier.....you still need to fully learn/understand tables.....for me diving is all about fun and relaxation......also computers can be a bit complex, you need to know how to use it and exactly what the screens mean, I think computers as rentals are not the best idea.......so computer comes first for me.......

Above is my minimum kit.........easy to pack, travel with and gets me in the water with some basic typically easy to rent gear.

Fins - unless you have leg/joint/cramp issues, then fins become more important and bump up to my must have list, make sure you have your booties with you when you buy them, fit is critical (for most recreational reef diving SP Twin Jets, yellow, but I also have Lighting Jet paddle fins with SS straps).
Wetsuit - all about fit and comfort, suitable for the waters temps in which you do most of your diving, a good 3-mil jumpsuit as an all-rounder, you can add a hooded vest and gloves for cooler water.....(Henderson Hyperstretch all the way)

I would stop here unless you plan to dive a lot...........

Regulator and BC (or BP/W) - purchase them together as a set, that way all the hoses can be the correct length and if you choose to go with a inflator mounted second stage (Air II, etc) you have that option.

Gauges, just a simple small brass and glass pressure gauge.....

Remember regs and BC require annual maintenance......

Finally tanks............remember they need annual inspections and 5-year hydros......

Other items to consider.............

Compass - underwater navigation if that it the type of diving you do
Second light - if you do lots of night diving
Second computer - nice to have a backup, I almost always dive with two
Finger spool - so you can launch your DSMB from underwater

My final thought is.......used gear.......you can find some great deals, I now buy most of my gear as used........

Hope this helps........M

Back
Top Bottom