New HP Photosmart R817 and R818 Cameras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KrissK

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
HP has introduced two new digital cameras with an underwater housing. The cameras seem to have specs and features similar to the popular R707 and R717 but the new cameras have a large 2" display and an accessory housing. I just picked one up today and so far am very impressed. I haven't gotten it wet yet. I'm interested in if anyone here has seen this camera or better yet used it underwater. What is your experience? My other camera is an Oly C-5060 with the PT-023 housing and an external strobe. I think I might use the Hp more though based on its smaller size and better ease of use.

My wife bought the HP R817 in August. I hadn't used it until this last weekend. I am astounded over the quality of the photos this camera takes. I'm enamoured enough that I splurged away some bucks today on this little bad-boy. I bought a whole underwater setup and accessories, plus a sandisk 2gb card today. Can't wait to take it down. In addition to phenomenal stills, it has really decent sound recordings and video - hoping to push the limits with a 2gb card.

Wish all the stuff would be here in time for the scubaboard group I'm diving with this week. But anyway I hope to post some results next week as soon as the surf subsides a bit here on local beaches.

It's such a tiny little thing but the optics are so amazing. Just found these details on the HP site ... this camera so rules!

Zoom, zoom, zoom! The Photosmart R817 has 5x optical, 8x digital zoom for a combined 40x total zoom. Its 5 megapixel resolution will bring you crisp, high-quality prints and enlargements.

Includes 50 free prints from Snapfish.com!1

Last but not least, it's got HP's Real Life technologies—easy features including adaptive lighting (with bracketing), in-camera red-eye removal, panorama stitch and preview, and video prints.

Ideal for capturing action in the distance—or in the same room

• Get crisp distance shots with the 5x optical zoom for up to 70 percent more zoom than with 3x lenses; then get even closer with the 8x digital zoom
• Take exceptional photos, make exceptional prints and enlargements up to poster-size with the 5.1 megapixel resolution
• Never miss a moment: Catch everything on video with sound at 30 frames per second, then save stills for printing
• Pack it and go: this stylishly small camera, which sports a sleek, stainless-steel design, fits easily in your pocket or purse
• View images, indoors or out—even on a sunny day—on the large (2") color LCD
• Comfortably take one-handed shots with the ergonomic, sculpted grip that keeps the camera steady
• Remove red eye while your photos are still fresh in the camera; no need to add extra flashes or make touch-ups with software
• Take up to five photos in panorama mode, stitch the panorama together in the camera, see a preview of the shot, then print once connected to a PC or printer

B000A3QWHW.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

This is really an Ikelite design ... so very reliable.

In the instruction guide it specifically mentions only the R817 and R818 so my guess would be no. However, its really obvious that it's an Ikelite housing made on behalf of HP, so I'd go directly to Ikelite and ask. The original poster of this thread also mentioned the R707 directly and commented that the newer model's designs are larger so that's another indicator.

OK, so how about some land shots?! I am informed that cameras do work on land, though I rarely tempt fate by trying LOL

Some nice shots of macro subjects and just some general wides would be lovely to see.

Also, can you let us know if it has full manual control of the shutter and aperture?

I look forward to hearing more, this is not a brand that I am likely to see here and it's always nice to have alternatives!

alcina:
OK, so how about some land shots?! I am informed that cameras do work on land, though I rarely tempt fate by trying LOL

Some nice shots of macro subjects and just some general wides would be lovely to see.

Also, can you let us know if it has full manual control of the shutter and aperture?

I look forward to hearing more, this is not a brand that I am likely to see here and it's always nice to have alternatives!

Sorry took a while to get back ... here are some examples I hope will serve the purpose.

PinkRose.JPG

DewDrops.JPG

Oh and alcina, you can set both the shutter speed and the aperature manually, individually or together. And you can save these settings into a series of custom modes which you can name and recall for use later.

The weather has been either rainy or overcast round these parts so a couple of good wides have alluded me, when I have I'll post. It has a 5 photo auto-stitch panorama thingy too which I've not tried yet.

sorry to bump up an old thread...

I can get my hands on both the camera and the housing for just under $380 for both. Is there a strobe setup etc from another company I could purchase? I don't think the camera has a fiberoptic piece on it.

Back
Top Bottom