New Inspiration scrubber.HUD & integrated controller

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DrySuitDave:
During my training the guy before me did it and it wanked him a tad....but I kept kicking and kicking and kicking without really much happening that was really noticable so I stopped because everyone was waiting around for me to finish.

I wish I would have kept kicking so I could experience in a controlled environment how truly sucky I hear it is...

You dont have to pass out to see the effects.. The key is to carefully watch your body response.. Youll see the breathing rate climb, followed by a disconfort in the chest, then usually you feel disorietantion, by this point you are probably merely seconds from lights out..

My guess is that you were venting alot of gas from the OPV this probably kept the CO2 level below what you needed..This can happen if the controller are set with the po2 too high.. I'll run the test with them at .5 and have the student to a rough 02 flush before starting the excercise, this generally keeps the controller from injecting oxygen (but is there to prevent hypoxia)and the student can inject it if the volume in the loop gets alittle low..

padiscubapro:
You dont have to pass out to see the effects.. The key is to carefully watch your body response.. Youll see the breathing rate climb, followed by a disconfort in the chest, then usually you feel disorietantion, by this point you are probably merely seconds from lights out..

Unfortunately I felt none of those symptoms.

The disorientation part though, I normally am like that....lol.....

A CO2 hit can sneak up on you, the symptoms vary from person to person and again the response time is critical. The point I am making is that if people rely on the electronics to take care of business there will be fatalities.

Be very careful doing real CO2 tests. There is a medical condition (cant remember what its called) where some people actually just die when they experiance slightly elevated levels. Its the reason the Royal navy stopped doing real drills. as they lost a few folks

Its all to do with partial asmatics or lung damaged folks that have built up a tolerance to higher than normal CO2 levels and hence dont show distress till its too late. Its unusual for a diver to have this but I did see it accasionally when I worked on an ambulance. These same people stop breathing if given oxygen as they need an elevated CO2 level to stimulate the breathing response

Any association that requires it is going to kill someone eventually. O2 on site wont work either as the need some CO2. If I remember rightly it effects about 1:10,000 folks

I seem to recall some posts here referencing the new Inspiration/Evolution scubber and controller/computer lacked mixed gas capability.

Here is what Ambient Pressure's website says about that:

Decoware upgrades to the onboard electronics - from basic dive gauge to multi-gas dive computer - displayed on the handset.
(under development - expected 2004

madmole:
Be very careful doing real CO2 tests. There is a medical condition (cant remember what its called) where some people actually just die when they experiance slightly elevated levels. Its the reason the Royal navy stopped doing real drills. as they lost a few folks

Its all to do with partial asmatics or lung damaged folks that have built up a tolerance to higher than normal CO2 levels and hence dont show distress till its too late. Its unusual for a diver to have this but I did see it accasionally when I worked on an ambulance. These same people stop breathing if given oxygen as they need an elevated CO2 level to stimulate the breathing response

Any association that requires it is going to kill someone eventually. O2 on site wont work either as the need some CO2. If I remember rightly it effects about 1:10,000 folks
After running the skills a few times you get an idea how fast the diver should be responding to the drill.. Anything more than a few minutes, A) the exercise is being done incorrectly or there is another problem.. SO stop the drill..
Even if the breathing response becomes conditioned to allow higher CO2 other parts of the body like the muscles should not become immune, high co2 effects gas exchange to the muscles and some reponse should be seen by the instructor.. Slight elevated co2 (in the blood) results in a less than optimum muscle use.

The person can stop the drill at anytime... If they want to only take two breaths so be it, the drill was stopped when the person felt confortable..

Another thing to consider is how the skills are being run, it is imperative that the loop have a guaranteed level of oxygen, I know what disease you spoke of and everything I remember is that it allowed the inspired oxygen to become to low and the combination of hypoxia and high co2 is a problem.

An asmatic on a rb can be a problem because sodalime is an iritant, and lung damaged people probably wount pass a medical exam for diving.

Factory told me yesterday that the Evolution will be available for order in April and the Trimix integrated deco software will be available from the start. No prices yet.

DrMike:
Factory told me yesterday that the Evolution will be available for order in April and the Trimix integrated deco software will be available from the start. No prices yet.
My personal opinion is to wait at least 6 months (unless you live in the UK). It is quite likely that the computers are going to need reprogramming at least once.. with the profiles that RB divers do, gotchas pop up.. WIth all the HH users out there and the dives that were being done it took an ENORMOUS amount of profiles to find all the small bugs.. I found a few of them because of the deep and extended runtimes I was doing ( 3 hours plus).
I am also very friendly and have been involved with testing various version of the HS-explorer.. AGain it took alot of profiles to get the bugs.. "normal" profiles generally dont present a problem but most RB divers dont run normal profiles..

Hopefully AP valves will give free software upgrades when bugs are found.. but from past track record I wouldn't hold my breath, its always a feature improvement not fix..

for example not being able to recalibrate underwater, people who have older handsets need to get them replaced with the backlit versions to get this fix..
I am a supporter of AP valves but some of their policies I dont agree with

BigJetDriver69:
So, he had a smile on his face, did he now, lad??? :wink:

Lol,

We have a different meaning here in the States then in Britian...reminds me of the movie I once saw where a bunch of British military guys decided that a Priest who was heading back to the UK should get a going away present from the troops....as a spoof they took a shoe box with a hole in one end and a crank exiting the other which rotated a soft feather duster inside the cardboard box.....the joke on the priest was he would have no idea what it was....

After proudly presenting this fabulous going away present...., the priest accepted it, looked it over, got all teary eyed, said how much he was going to miss all the boys, and said, proudly and misty eyed, that it was the "finest wanking box I have ever seen", which turned the joke around on the troops...that was how I came to understand the term as it is meant in the UK....

Back
Top Bottom