New Jersey beach diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cburgert

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Is there any place to beach dive in NJ without a current? I don't have many dives under my belt, but I don't want who ever will be my dive buddy to have to babysit or rescue me from some dumb accident. I've never did any SCUBA in the ocean so it wil most definitely be a learning experience.

if you want no current or to gain more dive experience- go to Dutch Springs in Bethlehem, Pa. a Qarry that is taylormade for divers with many underwater attractions..

I recently moved to NJ, but haven't been in the water yet. There are some shore diving spots that I'm aware of, both from the beach and some inlet locations. From what I understand, to avoid the current you need to time your dives such that you are in the water during slack tide.

One spot that I scoped out was Maclearie park in Belmar, there are nice steps leading into the water, and parking is real close. If you are planning a dive and don't mind someone tagging along, send me a PM I've really been itching to get in the water.

Dutch is the only place I've ever been to. I love it there, I just want to try out some saltwater diving. Man everyone goes to Dutch Springs, it is a great place.

I recently moved to NJ, but haven't been in the water yet. There are some shore diving spots that I'm aware of, both from the beach and some inlet locations. From what I understand, to avoid the current you need to time your dives such that you are in the water during slack tide.

One spot that I scoped out was Maclearie park in Belmar, there are nice steps leading into the water, and parking is real close. If you are planning a dive and don't mind someone tagging along, send me a PM I've really been itching to get in the water.
Yeah, I'll definitely be looking for a dive buddy for the shore. I'll send you a PM some time this season probably around June or September when the water is warm. If there is a weekend PM me, maybe I'll be able to get down there.

Why wait until June or September to start diving in NJ. Sure the water is cold but a nice day in April or May can make for some nice diving.

There is not much off the beach but Maclearie is good and the inlets can be dove also. High tides are working for me I might try to get a dive in one of the above later this week.

It is an amusement park full of rules, testosterone, and attitudes. Not everyone shares your excitement.

I would so very much rather disappear into a back bay at night when the tropicals are visiting.
I haven't been there on a busy day , but I've heard it gets packed elbow to elbow in the summer.

Dutch is a nice place, a personal pizza on the SI works for me, but I max out very quickly there and start wishing for better.

Be advised that there is also a very active local sub-culture that enjoys both buddy and solo diving of the local offerings. Ponds, lakes, rivers, bays, and ocean. Better to plead for forgiveness than ask permission. :wink:

There are established dive boats to the north and even southern NJ "private" boats that are accessible if you go about it correctly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom