New, lone diver in New Jersey -- where to start?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It may be a drive, but Shark River, exit 98 on Parkway, a good place to start. DiversTwo.com has the information for a free group called Happy Hour. It's a gloose group of fifteen to twenty five divers diving the back bay (15 - 20 feet) or inlet (20 feet). There is always someone looking for a buddy and usaully several instructors in the mix to give pointers or a good final check.

The back bay has a gentle tide change. That coupled with the shallow depth allows for dives upto an hour and a half.

Divers Two is a great outfit and we recommend them for Jersey shore and inlet dives. You won't go wrong there.

Hey there. I live in Cedar Grove dive mostly warm water but would like to do some shore diving in NJ or a mid-week run to Dutch.
Phil

Hey ... Congrats on the AOW...I am new too, but got my AOW in NY.

I think maybe getting into a LDS or a group is a good idea...also Dutch Springs is a KEY PLACE to test out skills and new equipment. I do not feel 100% testing things in a "wild" environment.

If you want to go wreck diving (which is soooo much fun) I recommned getting a few dives and a north east wreck class under your belt as you need to work with redundancy and new equipment. But it is soooooo much fun in my opinion.

Be safe and have fun!

I think maybe getting into a LDS or a group is a good idea...also Dutch Springs is a KEY PLACE to test out skills and new equipment. I do not feel 100% testing things in a "wild" environment.

If you want to go wreck diving (which is soooo much fun) I recommned getting a few dives and a north east wreck class under your belt as you need to work with redundancy and new equipment. But it is soooooo much fun in my opinion.

Be safe and have fun!

ditto what is said, join DNY here, they are a great group, frequently at Dutch Springs, and your local dive club. I can only vouch for DNY they are probably the best group for you to carpool/meetup with from your neck of the woods and are at Dutch regularly :)

Donna

Divers Two is a great outfit and we recommend them for Jersey shore and inlet dives. You won't go wrong there.

Joe runs a great shop and is always willing to help out folks who are interested in diving. You really can't go wrong with them!

Dude. Don't worry about it. This is like golf. You can't rush it. I am just getting into the north atlantic thing too. I have been diving for twenty years, but that was in the pacific and Carribean where the water was clear and warm. I have been talking to some really experienced NE divers and I will tell you the first thing you need to get is a dry suit and take the dry suit class. You can rent everything else until you can buy it, but go in this order. Dry suit, Wing type BCD with back plate for twins, multigas computer. I got this from RJ Hartman at Treasure Cove in Westfield, and he has been on the Doria. Take the Trimix class after you take the drysuit class. When you buy regs (rent them til you can buy your own) get high performance regs you can use for mixed gas. You will want to work toward being able to dive mixed gas and O2 and do decompression dives. It is a different world up here and one I am just begining to enter so I am really in the same place you are. It all seems overwhelming because of the amount of gear needed and the training to go with it. But just think of it like this. You want to dive anyway and you can only do it at your comfort and training level, so a training dive is a fun way to dive too. One problem we have is we are in the dead of winter so the quarry and other places to dive are closed. Work on getting your dry suit and start looking at the history of the wrecks and also at ship plans to get an idea of how ships and boats are layed out. There is more research required in this type of diving than in reef diving, but if you love the water and history it is awesome, and a good way to fill time on cold days in the winter.

Allen

Be safe and have fun!

On a side note, even though the winter has limited diving, some LDS have trips for Ice Diving. My shop does a trek up in January, i beleive, to Lake George. You need to go to the "class" to learn what equipment you will need. I believe you are tethered the entire time. But it should be something cool to do while you are getting your "northeast" sea legs.

BTW - I recently dove in the Carribean for the first time....VERY different world. The techniques for limited vis are definately rarely used there, but needed here.

Hey Ktown,
Congrats, on the AOW.
Your lucky to live in an area where there is some good diving and great Northeast Divers.
My advice to you is to hook up with a club or a dive shop and dive.Ask Questions if you don't know or understand something or just looking for advice.I found that over the years that I have been diving, Northeast Divers are a cut above the rest.Go to the http://www.benesththesea.org in March.You can find whatever you are looking for there.It's a great show.

Good Luck,
Wreckhead

Back
Top Bottom