New Mac OS X Dive App

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ditto. :)

Any movement on supporting IR under OSX yet? I wonder if the jTrak guys could lend a hand... wasn't their software open source? (It's free, at any rate) I know their protocol stack only works with a very limited number (ok, ONE) of IR chipsets, but that would at least help the people who can scrounge up the correct IR dongle.

I have spoken to scubapro/uwatec and for now they would prefer to leave Jtrak as the solution for mac users.

I have spoken to scubapro/uwatec and for now they would prefer to leave Jtrak as the solution for mac users.

I thought jTrak was third-party work, not something they developed in house?

Considering jTrak has been dropped for Galileo Sol users, and is no longer listed on the website, you may want to revisit the issue with them.

We can hope, right? :wink:

I thought jTrak was third-party work, not something they developed in house?

Considering jTrak has been dropped for Galileo Sol users, and is no longer listed on the website, you may want to revisit the issue with them.

We can hope, right? :wink:

This is as of a few weeks ago, direct from them. They still offer it, though you may need to email them according to some other threads here. Or alternatively just download it from the developers site, since it's there and free. For anything further, you (the customers) will have to take it up with them.

Is there a way to prevent the program from deleting the dives off my Gekko?

I suppose you're seeing older dives that are no longer there ? If this is the case it's just because the memory is limited and new dives will overwrite old ones when the memory is full.

MacDive does not alter your device in any way. At all. Whatsoever.

There is an update on the site for this software on the site.
Or it can be accessed through the software with the update option.
More computers are supported.
Thank you so much t0w for the great work!
I will check it out as soon as I can.

Any movement on supporting IR under OSX yet? I wonder if the jTrak guys could lend a hand... wasn't their software open source? (It's free, at any rate) I know their protocol stack only works with a very limited number (ok, ONE) of IR chipsets, but that would at least help the people who can scrounge up the correct IR dongle.

jTrak is a closed source application, but they do use an open source library (Java IrDA lite) for the IrDA communication. This library implements the necessary parts of the IrDA protocol internally. It seems that jTrak is shipping some kind of a "glue" library for each supported platform. On Windows and Linux, this is a simple wrapper around the native OS api. But on Mac OS X, it seems to contain some kind of userspace driver for one specific chip. That would explain why it's limited to a specific type of IR hardware on Mac OS X. At least that's what I discovered after inspecting the zip files of the jTrak application.

We could probably do something similar in our project, but the main problem is that I don't have access to a Mac OS X machine, nor do I have access to an Uwatec Galileo/Smart or even any other IR hardware. That makes it more or less impossible to even try to get something working. For the serial communication, adding support for Mac OS X (being BSD based) was only a matter of compiling the Linux code and after only a few trivial changes it just worked . But IrDA is much more complicated and we'll need real hardware for testing, debugging, etc.

Bummer. I wish I had an extra one I could loan you. :/

The mac hardware is easier to get around... tons of instructions abound for building a low cost "hackintosh", now that OSX run on Intel chips. Used Uwatec computers aren't horribly expensive, either... and make great backups even if you're happy with the computer you have now.

Just sayin'. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom