New Mares Carbon 42 Regulator & Warranty Concerns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

esguerra1

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Mares Divers (Phil, I'm hoping you will read this so I can receive a PM from you offering some guidance!),

I'm just about to purchase the new Carbon 42 reg out here in Hong Kong - getting it for a steal! - and I'm wondering if there is more literature/reviews out there on this new set as the Mares 2009 product catalogue doesn't include this model yet. How different is it from the Abyss42 (which I was originally considering) aside from the obvious carbon fibre technology and weight savings along with the superflex hose? Has anyone out there dove with it yet? Phil, I saw your interview with Scuba Diving magazine at DEMA in Las Vegas and I'm excited about this purchase - but I'm wondering if anyone has first-hand experience with the new Carbon reg!

This brings me to my next concern. I'm upgrading some of my equipment and purchased a lot of new Mares products (Dragon BCD and Octopus along w/ the Carbon 42) and I can't seem to register my products online at the Mares site either. I've noticed a few similar posts. I'd like to make sure the warranty is valid and register these products asap. The multi-language warranty forms included with my gear did not give an address where to mail them to - as I would also like to do (the old fashioned way) since the website product registration isn't working. Phil -or anyone out there - can you offer advice? I'm an American living out here in Hong Kong but was just in New York yesterday and travel to the States often. Is there a Service Centre out here in Asia or should I mail the forms back to the USA? Regardless, I need an address or advice! Help! I wanna make sure my new Mares gear is covered!!

Happy diving,
:cool2: JEREMY

Hi Jeremy

I am wondering if I can ask you a question about your choice of reg.

I am still deciding between the Carbon and the Abyss Extreme.
I want something for cold water diving, Scandinavia region etc, So I was wondering what made you go for this one over say the Abyss?

Thanks

tracy

Hi Mares Divers (Phil, I'm hoping you will read this so I can receive a PM from you offering some guidance!),

I'm just about to purchase the new Carbon 42 reg out here in Hong Kong - getting it for a steal! - and I'm wondering if there is more literature/reviews out there on this new set as the Mares 2009 product catalogue doesn't include this model yet. How different is it from the Abyss42 (which I was originally considering) aside from the obvious carbon fibre technology and weight savings along with the superflex hose? Has anyone out there dove with it yet? Phil, I saw your interview with Scuba Diving magazine at DEMA in Las Vegas and I'm excited about this purchase - but I'm wondering if anyone has first-hand experience with the new Carbon reg!

This brings me to my next concern. I'm upgrading some of my equipment and purchased a lot of new Mares products (Dragon BCD and Octopus along w/ the Carbon 42) and I can't seem to register my products online at the Mares site either. I've noticed a few similar posts. I'd like to make sure the warranty is valid and register these products asap. The multi-language warranty forms included with my gear did not give an address where to mail them to - as I would also like to do (the old fashioned way) since the website product registration isn't working. Phil -or anyone out there - can you offer advice? I'm an American living out here in Hong Kong but was just in New York yesterday and travel to the States often. Is there a Service Centre out here in Asia or should I mail the forms back to the USA? Regardless, I need an address or advice! Help! I wanna make sure my new Mares gear is covered!!

Happy diving,
:cool2: JEREMY

Hi Jeremy

Thank you for your support of Mares. The address of our Hong Kong office is:
Mares Asia Pacific LTD
Park Building Unit 1502-3, 15 Floor
Cheung Sha Wan - Kowloon
Hong Kong
+852 36940855

Both use a 42 first stage, but the Carbon has PVD coating on the 42. Both have the superflex hose. The Carbon 2nd is much lighter than the Abyss, both will have great cold water performance. As for the reviews, the Carbon just started shipping so not alot of feedback yet, but our internal shows it to be a great breathing Reg.

Hope this helps.

Phil

Thanks Phil.

Hi Jeremy

I am wondering if I can ask you a question about your choice of reg.

I am still deciding between the Carbon and the Abyss Extreme.
I want something for cold water diving, Scandinavia region etc, So I was wondering what made you go for this one over say the Abyss?

Thanks

tracy

G'day Tracy!

Sorry it took me awhile to reply, I just got back from some diving in the Philippines...just went to Puerto Galera (dive the Canyons there, it's excellent!) But seems like Phil beat me to the reply. For those EXACT reasons is why I'm inclined to choose the new Carbon 42 over the Abyss. The Abyss does have tried-and-true real-world cold environment diving as opposed to the just-released Carbon 42 but according to Phil, it seems like the Carbon should not pose much different specs. Speaking of Carbon composites, I fly jets which operate in extremely cold temperatures (-60 deg C or colder) and much of our aircraft components are made of carbon fibre products. They are very strong, lightweight, and durable. I travel a lot and I've held the Carbon 42 1st and 2nd stage in my hands and love the weight savings. Great for airline crew/travellers such as myself. If performance is the same as the Abyss, I'm going Carbon.

Aloha,

Thank you Phil! I apprecaite it. I've talked to your office in Cheung Sha Wan and they told me I don't even need to mail in the warranty card - but to just keep the sales invoice and the warranty card if needed. Great! Can't wait to pick up the Carbon 42! Will you be attending any upcoming Dive Expo's out here in Asia? Would love to meet up and see what else Mares has to offer. Please advise if able.

Aloha!

G day Jeremy

Thank you for this information.

Ive decided to go with the Carbon.

If something does the same job but lighter in the plane luggage then I think that is good.
Performance is what matters, but if they are both on par and with good cold water abilities then I think the lighter one is better.

Tracy

Hi Phil - I've been trying to get hold a carbon reg. but they seem very hard to find! I've finally managed to buy the regulator (still waiting delivery from Italy) but I couldn't find the octopus!

I've called several stores here in the UK and no one knew when they were going to receive it...I decided to send an email to mares, and I was told that they won't start shipping the octopus before July!

Is this correct? If so, why they have start shipping the reg but not the octopus? I believe that most people will opt for the carbon due to its light weight...it doesnt make much sense to me having a light reg but a heavy octopus?

Don't want to come accross like a moaner, but I was just wondering... :)

Hi,

The production of the Carbon 2nd stage (whether with the Reg or as an Octo it's the same) is not at full speed yet. Because this is a new and complicated mold, we are going slow and making sure every one is correct. I am not sure about the UK, but I expect a limited shipment of Octos by the end of this month. We hope by the 4th Q we can be fully up to speed.

Regards,

Phil

ouch..guess I'll be going on my holidays without a carbon octo...:crying2:

Thanks for the reply though!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom