New Mares Icon BCD: size L to large, exchange possible?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

koksie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

In July I bought a new Mares Icon BCD in St. Domingo, Dominican Republic, during my holidays. I had no chance to try it in the water, since the dealer is in the center of St. Domingo and it was one of the last days we had there. I tried it in the diveshop and the diveshop salespeople told me the fit was perfect. I have used other Mares BCD's in the past and normally the L size fits me well. I also consulted the size chart on this forum and that also indicated that L would be the right size. All this combined, I decided to buy it.

Last weekend I made my first dive with it: it was awfull! The Icon kept riding up on me, resulting in the belly-strap hovering around my chest and the chest strap under my chin. I was fighting my BCD the whole time, thereby creating possible unsafe situations, so I had no choice but to abort the dive after 30 minutes of struggling.

I think the BCD is too big for me after all. I tried tightening the waist strap under water but it could not be tightened any further and there was still room between the strap and my belly. I guess the absence of a cumberbund style velcro strap was missing for my posture. Because it did not tighten good enough on my belly, it kept riding up during the dive. There are also no crotch straps to prevent this. Since I heard no one else about this, my conclusion is that the size L is too big for me and an M would be a better fit.

Since I bought it far away from home rather than at my LDS, flying back and exchanging it for a size M at the shop is not an option (well, it is, but a very expensive one:)). I thought it may be an option to ask Mares to exchange it for a smaller size. Since I made only 1 dive with it and cleaned it very thoroughly, I hope this is an option. However, on the Mares website there is no central number to contact, so I thought I would try to contact Mares through this forum.

Mares, can you help me out?

Last edited:
Typically the person you purchase this will let you swap it but dunno in your case. I heard that they are phasing out on the Icon BCD (since the hybrid came out) so you better hurry!.

Yes, I am already too late. I went to my LDS Monday, but since they order their BCD's from Mares US, he could not swap it for me. My LDS only had an S and an L in stock and could not order the Icon anymore. He told me it is still available in Europe, but Mares US has already stopped delivery of the Icon.

I cannot swap it at the store I bought it from, since I bought it in St. Domingo (DR) and I live in Curacao. Since I cannot contact Mares directly (no contact info on their website), I decided to post here in the hope that Zak could help me out. Unfortunately, he hasn't contacted me yet.

Hi guys,
I'm afraid there is not much I can do from here. This really needs to be handled through the original point of purchase or a local dealer. We are out of the Icon bcds in almost all sizes so it is impossible for direct replacement anyway. But you also have understand, there is not much we can do with a used bcd. Since we are the wholesaler, it is nearly impossible for us to deal with a used product.

Have you tried to contact the store of original purchase, and maybe working out a ship back and forth for the correct size? I am sorry I can't be of more assistance.
Zak

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom