Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maudiver216

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello all,

I am an OW diver from South Florida and am looking to take my training one step further and take AOW courses. I've looked at a few different agencies to do this with and was looking for advice on what the best agency is to earn the AOW rating.

Of the few that I've seen, I believe the most comprehensive curriculum is SSI's. Any thoughts?
Thanks

It's the instructor, not the agency, that makes the difference.

Every agency has both good and crappy instructors. Many (most?) instructors approach you as nothing more than a card collector while the good ones are into the skills and the great ones are into you becoming a competent diver with the knowledge, skills and judgement needed to be one.

Be aware that the Advanced Open Water from SSI is not the same course as the Advanced Open Water from PADI. AOW from SSI and SDI are closer to PADI Master Scuba Diver. SDI and SSI Advanced Adventure are equal to Advanced Open Water with PADI.

You'll often hear (or read on ScubaBoard) what Pete said above: "it's the instructor, not the agency." So the prospective diver might say, "okay, but I still have to choose an agency." That's true, but did you know some instructors teach for more than one agency? They will give you the card from the agency you request, and they will make sure to follow that agency's required curriculum, but they will likely try to impart the same knowledge and skills to all their students. So really, get some recommendations for a good instructor, no matter what agency or agencies he or she teaches for. Talk to two or three of them--sometimes somebody just seems to click with your way of thinking/learning. And don't work with a dive shop that won't guarantee you'll be taught by the specific instructor you chose.

Agree 100% with what is said above by seasoned divers. Do your homework and it will payoff nicely.

Welcome to ScubaBoard.

Be aware that the Advanced Open Water from SSI is not the same course as the Advanced Open Water from PADI. AOW from SSI and SDI are closer to PADI Master Scuba Diver. SDI and SSI Advanced Adventure are equal to Advanced Open Water with PADI.
Scott, I’m not really familiar with SSI AOW, what’s the significant difference to PADI AOW?

ssi advanced adventurer is the same as padi aow with 5 dives from different specialties. advanced open water for ssi is 4 full specialties instead.

ssi advanced adventurer is the same as padi aow with 5 dives from different specialties. advanced open water for ssi is 4 full specialties instead.
Thanks, that’s what it looked like on the inter web, and some specialties the dives were optional (ie. Nitrox), is that the case?

Back
Top Bottom