NEW NASE Standards are here

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NASEHQ

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Well folks
I know you have been looking forward to the new standards for the recreational programs and they are here. If you have renewed for 2011 you will be getting a CD with the new standards very soon. If you are going to be at DEMA, see one of the HQ folks for your copy at the Party or the friday event. Let us know if you have any questions.

:wave:

Thanks...Looking forward to the CD...Know you all have been working hard on the new standards

Joe

It would be informative if you'd provide a summary of any notable chanages, or any obvious differences between NASE's standards and most others. If the new standards are different, it would be well worth showing that! (and a pleasant surprise to many educators)

MB:
It would be informative if you'd provide a summary of any notable chanages, or any obvious differences between NASE's standards and most others. If the new standards are different, it would be well worth showing that! (and a pleasant surprise to many educators)

Excellent point. I will get that up on SB this week. We are interested in feedback and opinions of fellow dive professionals.

MB:
It would be informative if you'd provide a summary of any notable changes, or any obvious differences between NASE's standards and most others. If the new standards are different, it would be well worth showing that! (and a pleasant surprise to many educators)

After we released our revised training standards I was sure the required bottom time versus number of dives who get the most attention. BUT it seems our most "controversial" change was the eliminating the snorkel use requirement! We leave it up to the instructor to answer the question "to snorkel or not to snorkel".

Our four principals we believe in and used to guide our standards:

Make it Fun: Most people who sign up for scuba diving do so because they want to have fun, not just to learn to dive. Our focus is on discovering how to have fun underwater while learning to dive safely. (And isn’t that the way it is supposed to be?)

Make it Thorough: NASE Worldwide’s competency-based approach to diver training does not dictate what the instructor will cover or how many sessions it will take before a student has supposedly “learned.” Instead, our student-centered approach to diver training specifies what, when and how well students will be able to perform real-world diving skills in order to be certified.

Make it Real: Diver training should be based on the way the world’s best divers actually dive, not the way a group of self-appointed experts say that they “should” dive or the fact that they have “always taught it that way.”

Make it Environmentally Responsible: Students internalize what they see and experience during training. NASE Worldwide helps make sure this example will do everything possible to create safe and environmentally responsible divers. One way we do this is by ending every dive with a slow ascent and safety stop, and learning skills in a way that minimizes contact with the bottom.

I was at the re-launch of NASE earlier this year, and got to spend a couple of days with Scott Evans discussing several topics, but mostly about training and standards.

I was taken aback by tracking the minutes as well as the snorkel non-requirement. It seems that NASE is allowing their instructors to tailor their classes to the environment that they are teaching in and letting them make the appropriate decisions.

I was also glad to see that tables were optional for the instructor to teach, but still included in the materials. I was also happy to see a workable definition of "hover" as well as it's inclusion in the standards. Good stuff.

That all is small potatoes compared to the 4 principles though. I found those guidelines as thoroughly refreshing and setting a great precedent in teaching.

The good word about NASE worldwide is getting out!

The voice of the sea speaks to the soul...

Thank you Doc

This is the way I've been teaching for years...Many of my past students are airline employees along with cruise ship employees. Their schedules are hard to work with but NASE gives me the flexibility. I could not certify so many without NASE plan...Easy....so many requirements...Lets fit it to workable schedule!

Joe

Just got home from the Grotto...I did a Grotto guide with Allan, got evaluated on my giant stride entry, evaluated Allan on his ESA, listend to a few briefs and debriefs, sat threw John's exciting lecture, enjoyed some good ol NAvy cooked chow/bug juice and met a bunch of GREAT!!! NASE instructors/divers. Oh and I met that guy...Pat or Steve or was it Pete. (NetDoc... thats it!)

What did you do today?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom