new olympus micro 4/3 system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, very exciting announcement, camera bodies and lenses 1/3 smaller than the 420!

Jack

I don't know, to be honest, I'm a little worried this signals a decrease in support for true 4/3rds. (Of course the press release says otherwise, but what else are they going to say, "don't buy any of our remaining E-volt series cameras we've already built...we'd rather eat the loss??") But on the other side, if they really are going for the EVIL camera type design (electronic viewfinder, interchangeable lens) that will require a real-time, full-time live view implementation which just might show back up in the 4/3rds mirrored world, as was in the E330 but abandoned in the later ones. Also having a wider gamut of cameras using the 4/3rds sensor just might accelerate improvement of said sensor, and a cost improvement all up and down the line.

Who knows? I'm still considering either biting the bullet on a 7-14 lens, or the 9-18 when it comes out in September, so I'll have plenty of glass I won't want to replace. So I'll be with Olympus for the forseeable future, and I guess could drop 'down' to micro-4/3rds with the lens adaptor mentioned.... time will tell.

It is encouraging that they are beginning to realize why dSLR never has had the market share of film SLR, they are to heavy and mostly to diffucult to operate, to much menu driven and to much boot up time. I just want to push the shutter button and take a picture and have intuitive and natural control dials instead of buttons and menus. I am not buying in until all of the menus are pushed aside for dials and wheels that can be operated without tiny little buttons and sensor pads and multi level menu chains that have to be navigated for every picture or mode change. N

Excited?...not really.
Pissed is more like it.
After investing all that $$$$ in this DSLR, lenses and strobes and they downsize.
I can't even swap out the 4/3 lenses I currently have.
Bummer.

Excited?...not really.
Pissed is more like it.
After investing all that $$$$ in this DSLR, lenses and strobes and they downsize.
I can't even swap out the 4/3 lenses I currently have.
Bummer.

I bought my first Nikon SLR about 1973. It still works. I have several and a bunch of real glass and metal Nikon glass that is better than anything made today. Those lenses I am told will work--sorta--on Nikon dSLRS (yawn, yawn). So, from 73 until 2008 I got about 35 years use. Nowadays you invest in a system and in 35 weeks you are obsolete, I feel your pain. Progress.

I ain't investing in no stink'n dSLR until they decide on a sensor format and standarize and decide if they are going to be 4/3, 3/2, Pi over Square or whatever BS they can dream up to confound normal people who don't want a laptop computer with a lens on it, I already got one on my phone and I cannot find the shutter button.

N
Microsoft should hire Mr T to put the smack down on that metro-sexual Mac dude

Last edited:
violence is the weapon of the ignorant :)

And sometimes justified.

N
For hire, unchangeable changed, wars started, revolutions quelled, dive equipment tested, obsolete high $ camera equipment smashed on the head of the Mac dude.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom