New pics from Bangka island, Indonesia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

really enjoyed seeing your images....thank you for sharing.

hi there!
very nice photos!!! Really jealous for marble shrimp! A perfect photo! Pygmy is very good too!! ) Did you use a wet lens?
And as I see you used both 60 an 30 mm macros. Please answer from your point of which one is better (convenient etc)?

And regarding the battery life. From specs of GX8 the number of shots per battery is about 320.
So how many dives did the battery lasted? Or you changed it every dive?
As there is no flash on board what did you use? electro cords maybe?

sorry for so many qestions! )))

regards!

Hi Temas,
thank you :)
I used the 30 macro with an INON UCL165 wet macro lens (+6) for the pigmy seahorse and other tiny subjects...
The 30 macro is more simpler to use, and not only for macro, but also for fish portraits.... some of the pictures to cuttlefish are made with the 30 mm macro.
The 60 mm macro Olympus is FANTASTIC for super macro and very tiny subjects .
The 60mm macro is still usable with the INON wet lens (+6) , but it is very hard to use with Nauticam CMC (+16) or similar wet lens.... surely it all depends by my scarce technics... because I know a lot of friends that are able to use the 60mm macro with the Nauticam SMC or CMC without problems....
So if you ask me which lens buy, I answer you BOTH... because both are perfect for macro .... the 30mm macro is simpler to use... but the 60mm macro is fundamental for tiny subjects, and with the 60mm macro you can stay at more distance from the subject... and this is good if the subject is shy.....
With the 30mm macro, instead, you have to stay closer to the subject....

About the battery of the Gx8 it last for two dives, but for the third dive you had better to change it, because at the end of the third dive you risk to remain without power.... (obviously shooting a lot....) :wink:

About the flash , I use this (look at the image) internal flash DMW-FL70-K , it is the flash of the Panasonic Lx100, and it fits perfectly into the Nauticam housing.... connecting the external INON strobes with fiber optics cables....
Usually I set the internal flash in manual mode (not TTL) (look into the FLASH MENU) , and slow down the power at 1/20 , so the internal battery of the Gx8 last more time....

If you want more info, I am here :wink:
Scipionems

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 137
I am browsing your photos on my t.v. Absolutely stunning! I am really enjoying trying to figure out how you set yourself up and got into position for these photos. Can you share any secrets on how to approach the shy subjects? Thank you!

I am browsing your photos on my t.v. Absolutely stunning! I am really enjoying trying to figure out how you set yourself up and got into position for these photos. Can you share any secrets on how to approach the shy subjects? Thank you!

Hi Mac Lovin,
Thank you :)
I think that the secret is patience and no rush....
You have to go slowly and with calmness...first of all because so you do not scare the subject .. and then because going slowly you can position your body in the right way, so that you don't create danger or damage to the reef around the subject... especially with the fins....
The most important thing is to observe the subject and how it is positioned .... then think in your mind the picture... imagine how it will appear in the screen.... and try to shot the picture.. then i watch and examine how it appear in the screen of the camera and then i regulate aperture to obtain the right exposure...
It is more difficult to explain than to do it in practice... :wink: :D
Scipionems

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom