New pier fee at Wyndham Aura Wooden Pier

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alison in Cozumel

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to let everyone know that when I pulled up to the Wyndham pier a few days ago I was presented with a letter on Sand Dollar Sports letterhead announcing that as of April 1st Sand Dollar will be charging divers $3. USD per person to use that pier. So if you are planning on staying there bring lots of change to use the pier.

I guess I better get started emailing my customers and letting them know.

I have tried to upload the letter but I am kind of digitally challenged sooooo......

Alison Dennis in Cozumel

Attachments

• letter fromSand Dollar.jpg
    letter fromSand Dollar.jpg
    302.2 KB · Views: 99
Thanks for the news. I'll pass it on at Tripadvisor. It's just another cost divers need to be aware of when planning where to stay.

Hey Alison! How's it going?

Thanks for the update, I will update my website with the info as well. I have used that pier with another dive op but was never charged. Good to know in advance and when asked questions on my site!

I got the same letter. I am really torn in passing this expense on to my guests. I hate when people have to pay little nickle and dime expenses. I am hoping if they pay the fee and complain to the management maybe the fee will be deducted. I love Fiesta Am because they have never given me any trouble picking up on that pier. Caribe Blu either. I think Sand dollar/wyndham has always been greedy about this fee. Im surprised it took them this long to start charging at the wood pier. Gonna have to let my guests know also. $3 a day adds up fast.

It's that nickle-and-dime crap that makes me want to stay somewhere else. There are plenty of other places that don't charge for that.

-Charles

I got the same letter. I am really torn in passing this expense on to my guests. I hate when people have to pay little nickle and dime expenses. I am hoping if they pay the fee and complain to the management maybe the fee will be deducted. I love Fiesta Am because they have never given me any trouble picking up on that pier. Caribe Blu either. I think Sand dollar/wyndham has always been greedy about this fee. Im surprised it took them this long to start charging at the wood pier. Gonna have to let my guests know also. $3 a day adds up fast.

Tony...it's not YOU nickel and diming your divers...it's their resort! The resort should be the one picking up the pier fees...not the guests OR the dive ops providing services to THIER guests.

I just let me people know up frot that if they are staying there, be prepared to pay the fee. I don't collect the fee, they pay it only when the guy is there collecting.

Your right Christi. Dive ops are in the middle. We can complain till we are blue but it won't do any good. The guests staying at the resort need to make it known they don't like the nickle and dime stuff and should not be penalized because they choose to not dive with the hotel dive op. I just feel the same as Charlesml. It's not right and sprinkles a bitter taste on peoples vacations.

Just wondering why Sand Dollar is collecting? They did not build the wooden pier. I thought that Aura resort (Wyndham) built it. Sand Dollar was not the on site dive op there either. Did Sand Dollar take over the operation of the Pier? or buy it outright. They own the concrete pier and charge to use it (Their prerogative) What has changed at the wood pier?

Stayed at Residencias Reef condos in Nov. and had heard about these fees being charged at the wooden pier in front of Aura in the past. In 10 days of diving we never say anyone on the pier nor were we ever charged. Guess thats going to change in May. Rediculous!

Just wondering why Sand Dollar is collecting? They did not build the wooden pier. I thought that Aura resort (Wyndham) built it. Sand Dollar was not the on site dive op there either. Did Sand Dollar take over the operation of the Pier? or buy it outright. They own the concrete pier and charge to use it (Their prerogative) What has changed at the wood pier?

Yes, Sand Dollar is now the exclusive onsite for Wyndam, Aura, Sabor and Residencias. I don't know the details as to why they are charging other than the hotel wants to collect and has delegated them to collect the money.

Regardless of who the onsite op is, I maintain as I always have that the resort should absorb the expenses involved with the pier as a SERVICE to their guests just as they pay the expenses to build and maintain the swimming pools and other guest activities...ESPECIALLY given that it is an all inclusive resort. It's absurd and there's absolutley no logic behind it in my opinion.

Just to be clear...I have no issues with pier fees for piers that were built and are maintained by private/individual companies (ie: Sand Dollar's cement pier, the downtown piers Aldora and Aqua Safari)...but every hotel on the water should have a pier to service their guests at no additioanl charge...it IS a guest amenity.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom