New RED FILTER for GoPro Dive Housing by SRP - Official Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't understand the need to compare equipments for different usages and different budgets...

I have also 3 Sola (1200 & 2000) that can't do anything with lot of light at -20 or -30 meters.
No sun light => use expensive lights
Sun light => use filters

Wreck Dive at the United Caribbean with Pompano Dive Center - YouTube

Mostly wrecks and reefs in South Florida. I use ONE single Sola 800 mounted right above the GO Pro. The typical depths are in the 60-90 foot range... Check out all of the videos on that channel, they are filmed with the same setup....

I like the shots with the groupers. Lights work great for close ups and/or dark dives. I prefer to use a filter for everything else. This also means I rarely shoot with and without lights on the same dive, so I use a cheap drop in filter. Just my preference.

I don't understand the need to compare equipments for different usages and different budgets...

I have also 3 Sola (1200 & 2000) that can't do anything with lot of light at -20 or -30 meters.
No sun light => use expensive lights
Sun light => use filters

Hehe that's the ideal setup just not many users are going to have the 3 expensive lights:D

For many gopro users they bought the camera mostly for its low price point which is why they arent willing to spend too much more on the accessories and its their first uw camera most likely. But it shows the reasonable quality of the GoPro camera by how many people are willing to spend many times the cost of the camera on lights for it because quality lights give great results as do quality filters.

Trying to show someone that bought a camera mostly on the fact they bought it cheap that a premium filter is the best option for best results is not always easy to understand. You buy a camera hoping for the best image quality you can get out of it and that's why I wouldn't be looking at cutting costs to sacrifice image quality if its still only a relatively small difference in price compared to how much you get out of the filter over its lifetime. Going the cheaper option may be good for some that are very tight on cash and would rather something which is still much better then nothing, but if in the end you realize you wish you rather bought the premium options due to your results then the money spent on the cheapest option has been wasted rather then the savings assumed by buying the cheaper version. Getting cheaper torches that dont take rechargeable batteries will mean you will spend more on batteries alone in a year then a premium filter that will work for ever or until you lose it lol.

The premium filters that do the best job may seem like they are pretty expensive but when you compare the price saved on a cheaper option vs premium filter to what you'd be spending for even cheap lights vs the good ones like Fabrice has got I would always choose the premium filters but thats where it comes down to personal choice and what someone is expecting result wise at a price. Having both options is great but if you can only get one or the other the smart choice is always to get a filter first if most of your diving is in daylight.

Id love to have a light setup like Fabrice has but couldn't justify the cost for what is just my hobby over what I have atm, for the benefit it would give me when I prefer to use filters for daylight dives. My light setup costs about $700 8x times as much as the new SRP filter and fabrices light setup would cost about $2300 3x as much as my lights or 26x the price of the filter to put it into context :D

Even half the price of the SRP filter ends up around $40 less against the cheapest option but in lights your talking a difference of $1000s and there are much more expensive lights then he has, like the Sola 4000's at $1599 each so you can just keep on multiplying the cost when it comes to lights.

You can get a Sola 500 for 299. Not only will it make your Go Pro come alive, it is also the LEAST EXPENSIVE dive light you will ever own. Rated @ 500 recharges, that's an extremely long run time without having to purchase any batteries ( saving money and you're not throwing away hundreds of batteries ) At 500 lumen s I would bet to say it is twice as bright as your current dive light, and if you add the price of a decent dive light 150-200, plus this filter, you are right where you need to be for the Sola 500.... I personally recommend an 800 if your budget allows, I am just showing the easiest and most affordable option.... I do agree that for wide angle shots with high light, the sola will not work well - in fact it can cause the backscatter to show up more and actually reduce the quality of the video... But i ask you this: How much of your shooting is more than 3-4 feet away? For me it's probably less than 5%.. maybe the divers going up or down the line, maybe a short clips of bubble going to the surface for a video segway between clips... 95% of my shots are right on the subject I'm filming...

You can get a Sola 500 for 299. Not only will it make your Go Pro come alive, it is also the LEAST EXPENSIVE dive light you will ever own.

I have 2 of the Sola 500 photo's and wouldn't recommend any less then that and they are great little video lights and do what I need, The price has dropped a little but your still looking at $600 for the pair.

Upgrading from there Id be looking at Sola 1200's or higher so its a big jump but for daylight diving in good light I still prefer filters over lights unless you get very close which is why its great to have both options but If you dont want to spend $89 on a filter I dont see how you'd want to spend $600+ on lights.

.... But i ask you this: How much of your shooting is more than 3-4 feet away? For me it's probably less than 5%.. maybe the divers going up or down the line, maybe a short clips of bubble going to the surface for a video segway between clips... 95% of my shots are right on the subject I'm filming...

Funny. My shooting is 3-4 feet away or more, 95% of the time. Well maybe not quite 95%.

Everyone has their own style of shooting and video creation. I tend to use a lot of wide and medium angle shots to lead into close ups. There is no right or wrong, just personal style and preference.

Funny. My shooting is 3-4 feet away or more, 95% of the time. Well maybe not quite 95%.

Everyone has their own style of shooting and video creation. I tend to use a lot of wide and medium angle shots to lead into close ups. There is no right or wrong, just personal style and preference.
Same here

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom