New RED FILTER for GoPro Dive Housing by SRP - Official Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's insane. The difference is amazing.

Will be interested to see when this comes out and how much.

Will this new red filter be better than the one I already have for my blurfix? I already have the one that screws on made by snake river. I think its called the CY filter. Is this new filter superior to the CY one I have?

I made this fast footage and comparison between the two filters, just to show you the results :

not sure if i believe this test at all.

from your footage you are saying that no filter is better than the backscatter???

filters.jpg

if so when is the srp filter for sale and how much?

I meant that BS & SRP are in my opinion the only red filters to consider at this time, for how they are made, conception etc.
I also have a BlurFix with SWCY filters but didn't have time to dive with a bunch of cameras :)
I always prefer to compare shots in same conditions, at the same time, and it's not always easy to organise.

Will this new red filter be better than the one I already have for my blurfix? I already have the one that screws on made by snake river. I think its called the CY filter. Is this new filter superior to the CY one I have?

From my testing so far they both appear to work pretty much the same, the screw in by SRP is a glass URPro filter and this new one is plastic but the actual colour correction should be near identical and it seems so in my tests. This is a wet filter and there will be a version for the gopro dive housing and also the blurfix housing if anyone wants a wet filter. In my full test I will have 6 cameras with all 3 gopro dive housings and also the blurfix screw in and clipon filters plus just a clear lens.

As fabrice's video shows that URPro filters do hold up great at deeper depths if you have good amounts of light, I found this with the original blurfix and screw in cy filter. I had never seen other filters do as well at depths beyond 10m, I was actually surprised by some other bs flip users videos showing it struggle more then I expected beyond 10m, thats why I decided to also get the bs flip and oculus filters to do some side by side comparisons. Its great to see Fabrices video show pretty much what I expected and it should be interesting in my different water conditions to see what happens then.

I love your dive site too Fabrice cant beat clear waters lots of fish and a few nice sharks too and thanks for the video.

Thank you Marty :wink: sure sharks are great and cool here !

BS told me that the Flip Magic optimum depth range is 2 to 10 meters. A bit shallow in my mind.

And the SRP design... wow what a design too ! the GoPro looks incredible ! shhhhhh.... they'll see soon how it is :wink:

not sure if i believe this test at all.

from your footage you are saying that no filter is better than the backscatter???

View attachment 134039

if so when is the srp filter for sale and how much?

I think the results with the magic filter are pretty consistent with every other video made with them posted here so far, the filter seems to do pretty well at under 10m but drops off pretty quickly there. The URPro results are also compareble to all my videos with the current filter and the original blurfix version I have used in the past.

You can check out the other GoPro videos with SRP filters and the blurfix you should see they consistently do quite well in those sorts of conditions and depths.

SRP sent out a few filters to some past customers me included to test the design out and give feedback, we dont know the price or release date Im sure someone from SRP or one of its resellers will have that info when its available.

Cool stuff Marty! I was told that my Ikelite filter performs the same as the URPro filter, so I will look forward to the SRP filter coming out for the official dive housing!

Thank you Marty :wink: sure sharks are great and cool here !

BS told me that the Flip Magic optimum depth range is 2 to 10 meters. A bit shallow in my mind.

And the SRP design... wow what a design too ! the GoPro looks incredible ! shhhhhh.... they'll see soon how it is :wink:

Hehe no worries mate, keep the videos coming I will try and get some good stuff but winter in Melbourne isnt as much fun as anytime in your part of the world.

2-10m thats the first time I heard that but it is what I have noticed from most videos posted with it, I will compare it against the swCY filter I have which I think is best 1-5m but beyond 5m results are quite similar to the magic filters by BS going by a few videos I have seen.

That design does look pretty mean, when I went for a test dive the other week I had a few people say that it looked cool and they were shocked when I said it was a GoPro, a few others were asking me wtf am I doing going in the water thinking I was mad as it was about 6 degrees outside.

fyi I'll plan another test dive with 3x HD HERO2, all with the gopro dive housing, but one without any filter, one with BS, one with SRP.
I'll put it side by side on the tray, without any light.
But I need to plan a dive from 0 to 15 meters (below, I already know the new SRP filter rocks !) with a lot of coral and colors at each depth.
This is the most difficult as when we dive, we jump above at least 15 meters deep from the bottom, and I don't really want to be cut or sliced on the reef just for a review :) :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom