New RED FILTER for GoPro Dive Housing by SRP - Official Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok so, they created a dive housing with a flat lens to fix the focus issues...but the filter itself is curved? Im an optics moron but does that effect the image at all?

None at all !
The flat lens is on the gopro housing itself, so there is no need to flat the filter.
Having a curved filter improves sharpness and correct color aberrations on the sides, according to the wide angle of the camera.
Of course to be 100% accurate the filter should be a huge hemispheric dome but your GoPro will be a bit hard to travel with.

Last edited:
The focus issue is corrected by the flat lens. The SRP color correction system is a wet filter that filters the color Blue, allowing for the colors to look more pleasing. So focus is not an issue. :D

Hmmm. Wonder why I keep calling it a color correcting system??? Maybe there's something to that.

As awesome as it seems. It is unavailable..... If it is not ready sooner than later I will buy something that is. And that's a customer lost... This post is months old. Testing should take ONE DIVE between changes/modifications. It looks like the testing has been worked out.. So why would it not be in production the very next day ?

It is, but it's a dome filter, not a cookie...
You seem to forget one thing, just find another filter with the same results and buy it ! I don't know any other filter with that capabilities.
So waiting for a month is not a pain, yes ?
I will never buy any product built in one month (because it doesn't exist).
I understand we all want it released, but we also have to be a bit patient.

@ Tony Ernst - Not sure if you were referencing the color correcting system for the BlurFix or GoPro Dive Housing.

There are a few steps to consider when launching a product.

Over all cost to produce
Material availability
Assembly of the system
Dealer sign up
Packaging
Marketing
Distribution
Retail cost

These are just a few things that need to be worked out in between Prototyping and launching.

I started the post to let the SB community know that SRP was indeed coming out with something and keep them updated with the latest information. I hope this helps to understand why the product is not ready to go to market. It is also worth mentioning that there have been several revisions since testing was completed. All for the better. We also have additional testers that are completing a second round of testing just to make sure the product is ready to go. SRP wants to make sure that the diver has a great experience from the first time they try it.

As the distributor of SRP products I hate the thought of loosing a customer for what ever reason. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to assist? Hope to see you on the back-end of a SRP Color Correction system! :D

When I was younger I would buy stuff because I needed it right then. Now, I'll gladly spend a little more and wait a little longer for a decent product, because theres a good chance I'd be replacing the first piece of junk anyway!

Waiting patiently!

A high-quality, well-tested product is always worth waiting for. This is a pretty "boutique" product. You can't expect the kind of production cycle you'd see with your typical Chinese-made mass-market junk.

Working in a manufacturing environment I know how unrealistic Tony's comment is. I for one appreciate you letting us know what you are working on and the progress. I also appreciate the time you are taking to test the filter in a wide variety of environments- green cold Pacific water is not the same as Cayman or any other warm clear water spot and the results can vary drastically.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom