New RED FILTER for GoPro Dive Housing by SRP - Official Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just got the email from SRP. Available for pre-order for 89 shipped in the US.

Sadly, I already have my threaded red filter.

"Just got the email from SRP. Available for pre-order for 89 shipped in the US.

Sadly, I already have my threaded red filter"

Where is the pre-order form? Is it on their website? Im on the clock now to get this before a trip.

Hey Everyone,

There isn't a pre order form but you can sign up for the newsletter and be notified when orders can be placed. You can find the Newsletter sign up at AquaPro HD in our online shop. Here's a link to the page. AquaPro HD

I guess it took SRP too long to release their filter. Maybe they were counting that the an upcoming Hero3 wouldn't have a standard flat lens and the current Dive Housing design would be maintained as an optional. I guess it will take some redesign on how it attaches to the rectangular frame.

There were over 1 million GoPro HERO2 sold and the large number of divers will not be trading up from a camera they've had for less than 12 months. So we will make sure to supply those divers and the loyal BlurFix customers as well. For those that do move up.... Well let's just say I know SRP is all over the subject.

SRP offers international dealers for those that want the new filter. I know there is a German Dealer and I'm sure his inventory is already in route or soon will be. I would love to help but out of professional courtesy I will have to pass. If you have a difficult time getting one let me know and I'll be glad to help.

Hope this helps?

Last edited:
If you emailed SRP about the filter then they put you on a pre order list. Otherwise, you will have to wait until the 24th for it to be sold.

You are receiving this message because you've expressed interest in our new Dome Slip-Over Filter. We are writing because we wanted to give anyone that has inquired a chance to get the filter for any upcoming trips before the release date on October 24th.

If you are interested, please respond with your order, name, shipping address, as well as the correct address to invoice you to from PayPal, and after we've received payment we will get your Dome filter out to you.

The price of the filter is $83.00. Shipping will vary depending on the country. If you are from the U.S. and would like standard USPS Priority mail shipping then it will be $6.00. All standard shipping prices on international orders will be $17.00. Any express shipments will cost more.

We hope we've caught you before your trip, and hope to hear from you soon!

Thank you so much!!

Snake River Prototyping

There were over 1 million GoPro HERO2 sold and the large number of divers will not be trading up from a camera they've had for less than 12 months. So we will make sure to supply those divers and the loyal BlurFix customers as well. For those that do move up.... Well let's just say I know SRP is all over the subject.

So $89 plus shipping for a filter, call it $100, when I can buy a whole new camera that will now shoot raw and super higher resolution and Wifi and Remote and and and for only $200-300 more?

Me thinks the market just fell out of the SRP filters, better cut your price in half.

I'll take the new camera thanks, and keep my Hero2 as a spare or back-up, along yes with the Backscatter housing and $55 Fantasea red filter...........progress and technology doesn't make equipment "outdated" but doesn't keep up with the march of new and improved cameras.

Anyone want to buy my Mini-DV tape cam-corder? Cost me $1500 "back then"

I think the $89.00 is the price for some of the international dealers that have additional costs associated with importing the product. I think it's fair to also mention that the GoPro Camera is a specialty camera requiring special effort when designing a quality piece. Unlike other camera systems that can use the same lens over and over again for different camera housings. Notice the price list below for a standard URPro flat CY lens.

Take into consideration that you're not purchasing a flat lens but a new URPro Dome lens first to hit the marketplace. As well as a custom frame by SRP of quality material. With that said, the real price point will be right in line for the item. URPro is the premier color correction lens manufacture in the industry. There's a reason why! Don't spend thousands of dollars on a fabulous vacation and take a substandard lens.

The HERO2 is a great price point to enter into underwater videography for the recreational diver just getting into the sport. Adding a color correction system just enhances the divers possibility in capturing great footage. I still think it's a hard sale to upgrade a camera system that's been out for less than 12 months. I personally love my HERO2 and find some of the new features of the HERO Black as not important for underwater videogrphy.(WIFI) Having two camera usually means one is rarely used and just setting collecting dust. But that's just my 2 cents. We've added additional testers after the the final version and they all say, this thing is incredible.

video_filter_1.jpg
#6441.31 ..... 2.2" ( 5.5 cm ) short length ....... $60
#6441.32 ..... 2.2" ( 5.5 cm ) diameter ............. $60
#6441.41 ..... 3.0" ( 7.6 cm ) diameter ............. $70
#6441.42 ..... 3.6" ( 9.1 cm ) diameter ............. $70
#6441.46 ..... 3.9" ( 9.9 cm ) diameter ............. $80
#6441.43 ..... 4.2" (10.6cm ) diameter ............. $70

You'll get higher resolution with the new HD3, but you'll still have color issues without the red filter.

I don't think you're making the right comparison. Whether you get the HD2 or HD3, you will need the red filter (if you don't run lights and whatnot).

You'll get higher resolution with the new HD3, but you'll still have color issues without the red filter.

I don't think you're making the right comparison. Whether you get the HD2 or HD3, you will need the red filter (if you don't run lights and whatnot).

AquaPro your self promotion of the filters is getting very old and stale..............no problems or issue with that, but just pointing out that you sound like a travel guide saying "our resort is best, come stay with us, this filter / thing at a 1/3 of the price of a whole new better camera is incredible"

SlvrDragon you're completely wrong about not needing a red filter, with new Hero3 white balance settings/controls up front, and/or shooting in RAW for total control in post processing, you most likely will not need any filters if you know how to drive the Hero3. We'll all soon see when real world video from Joe Public hits the web in a month.

Any camera rig, whether video or stills, you draw a line in the sand of technology progress and make a baseline and investment, for cameras/housings and such as new equipment comes out it always costs upgraded $$$. I still shoot stills with an outdated by 8+ years old SP-350 olympus still camera. Some people are happy with a SeaLife camera with Full Auto Everything that still turns out blurry fish butt blue washed out background photos....By todays camera standards my SP-350 with full manual F-stop and shutter speed controls is a dusty old slow POS point-n-shoot camera rig, but I like it, can drive it, have won numerous photo contests with it, and have all supporting equipment (Ikelite housing/strobes) for it. So very similar to our discussion on the GoPro3, verses 2, or origional Heros.........shoot what you have, enjoy what you have, and love sharing pictures and videos with fellow divers or non divers.

no harm no foul, I'm sure the SRP filter is incredible, but not as the costly magic bandaid crutch when there is new and improved camera platforms as technology marches on..........guess it just comes down to bang for the buck. I'll spend the $400 for a total new camera platform over a $100 filter, even though I've only had my GoPro2 for a short period, the new camera does tout stunning advances. And no my 2nd back up Hero2 won't gather a bit of dust.

Rocky WB only goes so far, the best option is both WB control and a filter. Your basing your view on the promo video shot by professionals at pretty shallow depths, have a look at it and see how even at only a couple meters below the surface the reef has no colour. Even the Whale shots are at less then 5m as you can easily see the surface there but the promo video shows the WB can be set well but it doesn't show me that there is no need for a good filter. I saw it and actually got excited realizing how much better and easier it will be to get some cool underwater footage with these options combined with a filter.

This is why traditionally a filter should only be used on cameras with manual white balance control but surprisingly they helped the Hero1 and 2 models even with a full auto setting.With the auto white balance issues of the current GoPro the filters helped a lot to assist the awb and without the footage was completely useless and turned green which was surprising to most including me. The WB issue is still problematic with filters and does degrade the end result as you have to battle what poor wb 90% of the time.

With manual wb control you will avoid having wb issues that are very common with the auto setting and thats the first real step in underwater camera use. You will still get the dominant blues as wb doesnt beat the physics of light and water. You will get much better results then the auto settings but they are so bad that's not hard to beat and the GoPro promo video shows the sort of quality you can aim for.

At 5m or shallower most people recommend not to use a filter anyway even though I still prefer it. So those videos at such shallow depths dont say much about a gopro and colour loss at depth. No matter what you do in post your not going to get back the reds that were never recorded, sure you can make your footage look nice and blue easier but add a filter and you will also get all the other colours which is the point of the filter.

The funny thing is the guy that put that GoPro video together is a complete master when it comes to colour correcting and editing videos. They have sold millions of cameras on his edits alone, then when people buy the camera take it out and use it the first time. They get disappointed when they cant get the same results as Abe does along with a full crew and professional athletes. Many people then accuse them of not using a GoPro camera in the videos because they cant even come close to the same results, sorry to say just buy buying the camera your not going to get those results unless you know what your doing and are good at editing and colour grading. The camera is just a tool and if it was that easy for anyone to produce those sorts of videos Abe would be out of a job but thats highly unlikely to happen.

Urpro filters are used by most professional underwater cameramen with much more sophisticated cameras then a hero3, so I really dont understand your point but your free to make it. Id rather pay $80 for what I see as the best filter compared to the others at $40-$50 which dont do a good enough job for me. Heck underwater lights your starting at about $700 for what would be the real minimum level up to well into the $1000's and my lights though they are great in complete darkness I get much more value out of the much cheaper filters.

There are cheaper filter alternatives but it costs me more then that filter every time I go for a dive for fuel, boat, air etc easily costs more then $100 for a single dive so its all relative. I didn't buy my cameras to get crappy footage and have always tried to find the best way to get the most out of them and good filters have done more to my videos then anything else.

My point was that you're comparing a filter to a brand new camera. Two completely different things.

You're complaining about the price of the filter because it may not get you the same results as the GoPro HD3, but the point I'm making is that asking 89 dollars for a filter is not that unreasonable when all the other filters for compacts and whatnot are also at the same price point.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom