New reg and stuff bought on line?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Option #4:

Find an instructor that will teach an equipment specialty, specific to your gear.

Bring it to the class and learn how it goes together, and how to tell if everything is working properly, and is ready to dive.

Sort of like not needing to be a mechanic just to drive a car, but wise enough to know a safe vehicle, and how to change a tire.

Chad

zaboAA:
Thanks again for all the replies. I understand how to screw them into the first stage.
My old 1st stage didn't have the HP ports marked, so I wasn't sure which went into them (although I did figure the pressure gauge went in there), wasn't sure about the BC. My questions were mainly aimed at my concern about torque, lubrication etc... Looking back I guess my question sounded a bit juvenile (maybe it was the 2 glasses of wine I had drank before posting the question). BTW hooked it up last night, tried it in the pool this morning works 4.0. The Proton Ice is a nice breather.

Yes it is a nice breather and you can dive anywhere with it. It's good to see a diver test his own gear out before an open water/shore dive...I've noticed many divers have service done and never test it before a trip or local dive. Even if you have to ask your local dive shop to use their pool...do it! Glad to see the rig works well, and stay safe...

cnctina:
ScottZeagle:
I realize that many people think this is a silly question, or something that is quite easy to do, but in my opinion, if you have to ask how to assemble it, you should have a professional do it.

How are you to learn if you don't ask? Who did you ask the first time? If you give me a fish I will eat today, If you teach me to fish I eat for life.

I would agree and support your post and that of Rick completely.

There is no one who is so experienced and knowledgeable that there is nothing for them to learn. I don't think anyone requesting for info or advice on this board should (albeit a basic issue) deserve to be chastised or humiliated. After all, this is what this board is all about - a forum for people with shared interest to share knowledge and experience.
There are some in this forum perhaps with vested interest who will always condemn any attempt to understand and perhaps help themselves with minor problems. They always derogate any such attempt as irresponsible and put the fear of death in you. Why ? Out of concern for the interest of the person asking ? I very much doubt it.

Now attaching new equipment to a new 1st. stage is not exactly rocket science engineering that one should not attempt to understand and if confident enough to attempt with care. The skill to do this is not in the realm of unfathomnable preserve of the lds 'professional'. It's like saying that attachement of a spare tire has to be performed by a qualified professional of the association of tire professionals. Otherwise it is irresponsible !!!! In fact, I think it is more difficult to attache a spare wheel than to attache hoses to a 1st. stage. I am not saying that it should be taken lightly; but with information and a degree of personal confidence there is no reason why one shoud not proceed with care to do this. Personnally I must have clocked up in excess of 200 dives before i had occasion or need to disassemble and reassemble my rig . There is always a first time for everything.

Anyone responding to this type of post should take the example set by DA aquamaster who is a true profesional with a wealth of knowledge but has never ridiculed anyone even those who post very basic queries.

If a person does not ask or try to understand that person will not learn much !!!

zaboAA:
My old 1st stage didn't have the HP ports marked, so I wasn't sure which went into them (although I did figure the pressure gauge went in there), wasn't sure about the BC.
Mark--

You've been very good-natured about all this. :eyebrow:

Just out of curiosity, how old was your old first stage? As far back as the 1980s? If so, back then all ports were usually the same size, with identical threading. The HP port or ports, though, were usually marked with a stamped "HP" next to them; no other way to tell which was which.

I took a break from diving for like 13 years, and was amazed how much had changed. I still had some of my old equipment, and couldn't figure out that port sizing at first either. In fact, neither could my dive shop, when I showed them the old SPG with the small-diameter HP fitting. :11: Finally figured out what was going on. Got an adapter for the new SPG, and my son is using that old first stage with no problems.

--Marek

Im sure you can handle the job, just be careful how tight you screw in the hoses, your not building a battle ship!! Hand tight, then just a LITTLE bump on the wrench to set it. Some of the hard core techs I dive with will not use a wrench at all on 2nd stages, and only assemble them hand tight.

dbg40:
Hand tight, then just a LITTLE bump on the wrench to set it. Some of the hard core techs I dive with will not use a wrench at all on 2nd stages, and only assemble them hand tight.
I've always wondered about this. I've never had a reg hose work loose. But as much as hoses are handled, coiled, and twisted around, why don't they work themselves loose? Even when slightly torqued with a wrench? Particularly with greased o-rings?

I suppose when pressurized they'll tend to stay put, like a yoke or a DIN fitting. But otherwise?

I've seen them work themselves loose. Unless you have really strong hands, I'd use a wrench, but no go wailing on the tightness.

If you're really concerned, get a torque wrench and tighten to manufacturers specs.

:wink:
Marek K:
Mark--

<You've been very good-natured about all this. :eyebrow:>

I'm a 16 year Navy vet (still in the reserves). One thing I learned was sarcasms and ridicule is usually from someone who has no idea what there talking about or low self esteem. Your choose. The question wasn't worded perfect, so I can laugh. I sleep the same either way, soundly. BTW a majority of my dive sare up in Puget Sound. Cold water and strong currents, I'll put my skills up against anyone ;-)

<Just out of curiosity, how old was your old first stage?>

Yes 1988-89 time frame. Now that you mention it they are the same size. Just never really been a gear head (too busy). BTW, I have taken some time off diving too, a few years here and there.

Mark

The airspeed press books are a good addition to any diver library. Basic assembly, function and stuff os something all divers should learn. Kind of like if you can't change a tire you probably shouldn't drive a car.

Ask, read or whatever but you'll be better off not having to rely on others at least for the simple stuff. Have your questions been answered? If not, say so and one of us will fill in the gaps.

Back
Top Bottom