New Regional Dive Club

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mwm

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I would like to introduce myself and our dive club to the Deep Dixie Divers.

My name is Mike M. I am Vice President of Blackbeard’s Scuba Club. We are a local dive club located in Savannah GA. We currently have 58 members and are growing every month. We meet once a month on the first Friday (7:00 pm) in Savannah at Tony Roma’s (7 East Bay St) and usually have 30-35 people in attendance. Please check out our web site www.monsterscuba.com.

Our purpose is to develop, promote and encourage the interest of Scuba Diving in a safe and organized manner, and to provide access to dive partners. To do this we use several approaches. We like to include guest speakers at our meetings. We have had lectures from NOAA, academic professors, equipment reps, deep divers and instructors. This allows us to help develop our continuing education. Community service projects like handicap scuba, diving awareness and volunteer projects help get us out in the public eye. And of course we like to dive. The more diving we do, the more divers we meet. The more divers we meet, the more diving we do. Club trips that we have done this year include Epcot/Crystal River, Palm Beach, The Oriskany and WilmingtonNC. Two of our divers just got back from The Andrea Doria. We have a trip scheduled to Key Largo at the end of this month.

We have grown to the point where we believe that we have something to offer the regional community. We would like to meet, network, exchange ideas and dive with other divers and dive clubs. Please let me know what you think.

Our meetings are open to the public and a lot of fun. Feel free to drop in if you are in the area or join us on one of our trips. Our next one is Sept 27th-30th. A charter bus to Key Largo and back, two nights stay and three days of diving at www.amoray.com. Price is $440/person.

Dive Dive Dive,

Mike M

Here are the minutes from our last meeting:

Hello again, everyone. We had another great meeting last night at Tony Roma's on Bay Street. Below are the meeting minutes:

Mike took the reigns as Ryan had a last minute work obligation. After opening the meeting, Mike began by stating the we had surpassed our year end membership goal of 50 members by increasing the number of club members to 55. Mike mentioned the new forum and then Bob Bunkley gave us some details on his new baby. After much work and dedication, Bob advised that the new forum is up and operational with all the old posts moved over to the new forum software. A big thanks and round of applause followed. We do appreciate it, Bob.

The quarry improvement project is moving forward, but there is still a shortfall of funds. We are about $400 short. The money is going to general improvements to the quarry area and to build a nice dock that can be used to enter/exit the quarry. This is going to be a really nice addition to the facilities and will make diving there more enjoyable and safe. Donations are welcome. Bob Bunkley also generously offered a brand spanking new Sealife digital camera to the club to raffle off. The money from the raffle would go toward paying off the remainder of the shortfall. Once again, thanks Bob.

Mike then spoke briefly about the upcoming club trip to the Keys. This looks to be a great trip to get some awesome diving in and to mingle with your fellow club members. Please join us September 27-30. You don't even have to drive. Hop the bus and relax. Contact Mike or Ryan for more details, but hurry up as time is running out.

Team Ocean was the next topic up and after an introduction by Mike, Greg McFall from NOAA gave some more information and background on this new opportunity. Greg stated that 10 people have signed up so far with six having already completed the necessary physicals. If you want to do some diving that is fun and educational, while NOAA picks up the expenses, this is your chance. Greg is still looking for more people, so if you are interested, contact him via email or telephone (see last month's minutes for contact info).

Greg also brought up the upcoming Gray's Reef Ocean Film Festival, running from September 21-23. A volunteer sign up sheet was passed around. The club assisted last year and members are invited to do the same this year. There are some great films on tap and like minded ocean people will be in attendance. Even if you don't volunteer, show up and catch a film. They are free to enjoy. Now who said the best things in life aren't free?

Greg and Sarah also touched on the topics of lionfish migration and sponge die off. NOAA is interested in tracking both of these and observations of either are important. They ask you to report any sightings and give as much detail as possible when making your report (location, numbers, observations, etc.).

Christina then addressed the club about the upcoming Ogeechee Seafood Festival. The festival will be October 19-21. Bob Bunkley will have a booth set up for Georgia Offshore/ScubaMarketUSA. He has agreed to allow the club to have a section of the booth to get our name out there. There will be a ton of foot traffic passing by the booth and getting our club name and purpose seen by so many can only be a positive. A sign up sheet was passed around for volunteers to man the booth on the club's behalf. If you are interested, contact Christina for more details. She has some really great ideas for the booth, including a dunking booth with divers in the water underneath. I'm pretty sure I heard Kaley agree to be the dunkee.

Christina also mentioned the care package for Lisa, our fellow club member currently over in Iraq. Items were brought in to put in the package and I'm sure Christina would accept anything else you might want to send Lisa's way to let her know we are thinking of her and to help alleviate the boredom she endures in the sand box. Anything that might give her a little taste of home would be nice.

Last but not least, Shannon gave us his highly anticipated presentation covering his and Bob Jackson's Andrea Doria trip. A very nice video was played with Shannon giving more details and taking questions afterwards. I have to say, you guys did us proud. What an accomplishment.

To end the night, Brooks showed up with the new club tee shirts after being stiffed by the shirt people all day. Thanks for taking one for the team, Brooks. We owe you one. The new shirts look great, by the way, so pick one up before they are gone. We have some new colors this time and a long sleeve version too. Due to his waiting for the shirts, Brooks wasn't able to present the Treasurer's Report, but he provided the following written report:
Club funds as of 08/03/07 $841.72
New members 50.00
Dock funds 200.00
Debits (New t-shirts) 590.64
Club funds as of 09/07/07 501.08

We had three new members join at the meeting, also. A big welcome to Paul Zellner, Carmen Greto, and Hal Sims as our newest members. The rest of you scallywags have to walk the plank!

See everyone next meeting.

HIYA MIKE! The BBSC has been a great asset to me since I found you guys! I found a group of fun people who share my passion. I have learned quite a bit since I have joined and I feel I have found a new family! So for all of those in the Low Country or just visiting Savannah, give us a shout!

Happy diving!:pirate3:
Carolyn:sharks:

Hi Carolyn,

Thank you for the kind words. It is people like you that make Blackbeard's Scuba Club what it is. We are all happy to count you as a member.

Now, lets get wet.

Mike M

Hi Carolyn,

Thank you for the kind words. It is people like you that make Blackbeard's Scuba Club what it is. We are all happy to count you as a member.

Now, lets get wet.

Mike M

I am ready when you are! LOL!

Carolyn:sharks:

MINUTES FROM BLACKBEARD'S SCUBA CLUB OCT. MEETING

Ryan opened by welcoming everyone to the Oct. meeting.

The minutes from the last meeting were read and the treasurers report given.

Old business was discussed.
1) We are still missing e-mail addresses for several members. Please send them to Rich
2) Most of the materials have arrived for the new dock at the quarry. Dave G will be arranging work days so that it can be put together and installed.
3) Greg M is waiting to collect the last of the physicals for Team Ocean. If anyone else is interested please contact him.
4) The Gray's Reef Film Festival was a great success. As a Club we had at least one representative there the entire time. Our friends at NOAA are very grateful.

Mike took over for the new business.
1) Blackbeard's Scuba Club business cards have been printed and were handed out. Everyone is encouraged to give them to other divers they know or meet. When out and about, if you see a car with dive plates or stickers, place on under the windshield wipers.
2) The end of the year party will be at Shannon and Cristina's house. We will meet there in Nov instead of at tony Roma's. More details will be given as the time approaches.
3) Nominations For 2008 Officers will occur at the next meeting with elections in Dec.
4) We began the raffle for the SeaLife Camera that Bob and Michelle donated. Tickets are $2.00 each. We sold 45 tickets. these funds will go directly to the Quarry project.
5) Carolyn G spoke briefly about her experience diving Lake Jocassee. This would make a good short trip for the Club next year. The divers she was able to meet there are interested in getting together with us.
6) The Sea Food Festival is 10/19 - 10/21. Thanks to Bob and Michelle, the both for the shop and the club will give us a chance to introduce ourselves to a lot of people. If you are interested in volunteering see Christina C.
7) Bob spoke a little about the plans for the new shop. This will be a great addition to the Georgia scuba community.
8) Shannon gave a quick recap of the upcoming classes. Please see the calendar.

The presentation began with a few shots of the club trip to NC. Everyone loved the closeups of the TigerSharkes.

The real highlight of the evening was the video from the club trip to Key Largo. Great shots of both fish and divers. Christina, thank you very much you did an excellent job.

Back
Top Bottom