New rEvo Controller - Petrel 3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cathal

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Any user feedback on the Petrel 3 Controller v Predator? Would the Petrel 3 functionality be worth the upgrade over the Predator??
TIA

Cathal

A guy I dived with recently has a Petrel 3 on his box (not a Revo) and he was raving about it: so easy to read and he liked the haptics.

Are you thinking of an "upgrade" or a new box altogether?

Any user feedback on the Petrel 3 Controller v Predator? Would the Petrel 3 functionality be worth the upgrade over the Predator??
TIA

Cathal
The Predator is now end of service and not repairable. I'd wait until it craps out (or you accidentally rip the battery terminals out) and then replace with a 3. The vibration function is excessively nice, especially for those with Dreams / N@90 HUD / Shearwater HUD etc that are...less than great. Given the failure rate of the Nerd, the Petrel 3 wins hands down.

A guy I dived with recently has a Petrel 3 on his box (not a Revo) and he was raving about it: so easy to read and he liked the haptics.

Are you thinking of an "upgrade" or a new box altogether?
Possibly just the handset as the unit works flawlessly now that I turned of the RMS.......

The Predator is now end of service and not repairable. I'd wait until it craps out (or you accidentally rip the battery terminals out) and then replace with a 3. The vibration function is excessively nice, especially for those with Dreams / N@90 HUD / Shearwater HUD etc that are...less than great. Given the failure rate of the Nerd, the Petrel 3 wins hands down.
Appreciate the feedback

I have one the last rEvos with Petrel 2 and saw a Petrel 3 in action. Would not want to upgrade mine yet but see the Petrel 3 appeal.

Just upgraded from Petrel 2 controller to Petrel 3. Minor improvement of the screen but indeed reads more easy and clearly. Vibration works so nice, especially the PPO2 alarm. I am not rEvo but JJ.
Only problem: how to deal with the old Petrel 2 controller.

I have "heard" that the haptics/vibration mode on the Petrel 3 eats the battery up quickly....??
Also the Petrel 3 is big, almost as big as a Predator.

I see it like a GoPro. The next model is better, but not better enough to get for the sake of just getting it. If I had to buy a new one, yes I would get the latest and greatest.

I have "heard" that the haptics/vibration mode on the Petrel 3 eats the battery up quickly....??
Also the Petrel 3 is big, almost as big as a Predator.
I'm not so sure that is an accurate statement. I agree the battery life will be diminished if you are constantly letting the haptics/alarms go off but their specs on paper for battery life are very similar. Both are rated at 100 hours with Saft LS14500 vs 35-40 hours for a normal AA.

Petrel 2 Computer (WxHxD) 83x74x39mm (3.3″x2.9″1.5″)
Petrel 3 Computer (WxHxD) 83x75.5x39mm (3.3” x 2.97” x 1.5”)

It's height is 1.5mm (0.05inch) larger. Both are about 40% smaller than a Predator.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom