New rEvo Controller - Petrel 3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@macado - Thanks for clarifying !!

Any user feedback on the Petrel 3 Controller v Predator? Would the Petrel 3 functionality be worth the upgrade over the Predator??
TIA

Cathal
I would say it's worth the upgrade once your Predator dies. My buddy unfortunately just went through the process on his rEvo. His Predator controller died and Shearwater will no longer service the Predator. He just ordered a Petrel 3 controller.

Besides price to upgrade I don't see any negatives but I wouldn't necessary buy a new once unless I was forced to although it may not be a bad idea to have a "spare" controller.

Predator is EOL. Can't be serviced at all now.
Predator requires a Saft battery but Petrel 3 doesn't
Petrel 3 has better battery compartment
Petrel 3 has larger screen (2.4" vs 2.6")
Petrel 3 has smaller footprint
Petrel 3 has better battery life
Petrel 3 has configurable Haptic / Vibrating alarms
Petrel 3 platform has lots and lots of newer hardware/software features
--Titanium bezel
--Stack Timer
--Compass
--O2 calibration history
--Air Integration

I'm sure I missed a BUNCH of features but the differences are vast.

My first rEvo, mCCR came with a Predator - Fischer connector. I still have it and it would make a great paperweight. Shearwater could not repair the Fischer connector a couple of years back.

It would make a decent stand alone OW mixed gas computer but getting saft batteries is a crap shoot, so many chinese knockoffs

I would say it's worth the upgrade once your Predator dies. My buddy unfortunately just went through the process on his rEvo. His Predator controller died and Shearwater will no longer service the Predator. He just ordered a Petrel 3 controller.

Besides price to upgrade I don't see any negatives but I wouldn't necessary buy a new once unless I was forced to although it may not be a bad idea to have a "spare" controller.

Predator is EOL. Can't be serviced at all now.
Predator requires a Saft battery but Petrel 3 doesn't
Petrel 3 has better battery compartment
Petrel 3 has larger screen (2.4" vs 2.6")
Petrel 3 has smaller footprint
Petrel 3 has better battery life
Petrel 3 has configurable Haptic / Vibrating alarms
Petrel 3 platform has lots and lots of newer hardware/software features
--Titanium bezel
--Stack Timer
--Compass
--O2 calibration history
--Air Integration

I'm sure I missed a BUNCH of features but the differences are vast.
Appreciate your feedback on this. I suppose once you upgrade to the Petrel 3 your unit is pretty much the same as a new unit.
Tks again

My Predator controller is still chugging along but I just ordered a Petrel3 controller because I seem to have an issue where I have to buy dive gear.

I just had a predator repaired by the NZ Shearwater service centre that was flooded, took a bit for them to find the parts.

I have "heard" that the haptics/vibration mode on the Petrel 3 eats the battery up quickly....??
Also the Petrel 3 is big, almost as big as a Predator.

The size looks like bigger than 2, but if you compare the two models side by sied, I see no difference. But the Petrel 3 is heavier than the 2.
I dont have any experience about the battery life right now regarding the Petrel 3. But I have a Perdix 2 which support vibration also, I use the Energizer Ultimate 1.5V Lithium batteries recommended by SW, I feel no clear shorter battery life compare to my Perdix 1 SA.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom