New rig!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SelkieDVM

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My new DSS rig came yesterday and I am very excited! I got the med. SS plate, hog harness and Torus 26 wing. Spent the morning getting the harness threaded and adjusted. I haven't tried it with a tank yet as I am waiting on trim pockets for the cam bands which should be here tomorrow. Question though - I notice that there are two positions on the plate to place the wing either up or down? Is this a personal adjustment/trim issue? I have the plate adjusted as suggested on the DIR-diver.com website so I can touch the top of the plate. With the wing in the lower position it places the inflator so that the very end of the corrugated hose is about level with the D-ring (with no air in the wing). Does this sound right or should I try it in the upper position?

Can't wait to actually dive with this rig!

Cheers and thank you,
Lilla

My new DSS rig came yesterday and I am very excited! I got the med. SS plate, hog harness and Torus 26 wing. Spent the morning getting the harness threaded and adjusted. I haven't tried it with a tank yet as I am waiting on trim pockets for the cam bands which should be here tomorrow. Question though - I notice that there are two positions on the plate to place the wing either up or down? Is this a personal adjustment/trim issue? I have the plate adjusted as suggested on the DIR-diver.com website so I can touch the top of the plate. With the wing in the lower position it places the inflator so that the very end of the corrugated hose is about level with the D-ring (with no air in the wing). Does this sound right or should I try it in the upper position?

Can wait to actually dive with this rig!

Cheers and thank you,
Lilla

Lilla,

Glad to hear the goods arrived safely. The two holes / slots in the plate are primarily there to allow doubles to be adjusted up or down a little.

With a single tank I'd recommend starting with the wing in the upper hole. I'd move the wing down relative to the plate only if you were hips down / heads up after you determine your ideal weighting, and have selected the position to carry any additional ballast you may need.

As far as the length of the corrugated hose, keep in mind that standing on dry land, and floating horizontally will have different effects on the position of the plate.

As long as you can reach the oral inflate the hose is long enough.

Enjoy. Let me know how it works in the water.

Tobin

Tobin you're an OK dude and always willing to help anyone and everyone. I've seen you give positive advice to people who are setting up products you didn't sell and of course you are right there when people who buy your products have a question.

My hat off to you!

Randy

Tobin you're an OK dude and always willing to help anyone and everyone. I've seen you give positive advice to people who are setting up products you didn't sell and of course you are right there when people who buy your products have a question.

My hat off to you!

Randy

Randy,

Thank you. That's very generous of you to say.

Tobin

The reason why I chose DSS rig is Tobin's excellent support on this forum.

from far east, Japan

Tried my new BP/W in the pool Thursday and am quite pleased. I had no problems with the wing pushing me face down at the surface even with a lot of air in it. It was amazing how easy it was to float on my back, like lying on a raft. Not sure why this should be, but buoyancy control using my breathing seemed much more responsive with this rig.

The shorter inflator hose will take a little getting used to, and I think I will have to ditch my Dive Alert as a consequence - it was a little tricky working the disconnect as it is. Also I need to try some inner tubing or something to get the inflator hose to lie a little flatter, or maybe run the inflator hose under the corrugated rather than over. Moving the hose to the rear position on my first stage seemed to help some. I put a bungie loop on the D-ring keeper for the corrugated hose. This seem to put a lot of strain on the hose when elevating the hose to dump air. I'm still getting used to using the rear dump under water but even at the surface this worried my a little. Any suggestions? The bungie is 3/16" and the loop is about the same size as the D-ring.

I put XS Scuba weight pouches on the upper cam band for later trim experimentation. This resulted in having to shift the buckle over to the side some so I could Velcro the excess strap, as I was unable to push it under the pocket. I haven't tried it in this position yet but I can't imagine this small shift will affect my trim very much?

I like attaching my gauges to the right D-ring, but since switching from a retractor to a bolt snap I find it places the gauges a little too high. I can see them but I have to bend my neck down more severely to do so. It also causes my necklaced backup to cross over the gauges, which somehow bothers me but I not really sure it's a true problem. I'm not using a long hose for the primary yet. Any problems with placing a quick link between the bolt snap and D-ring to move it down a little?

On the whole I love this rig. It's so simple and elegant, very stable, and I feel it trimmed me out nice and horizontally (though I should get someone else's perspective on this). I need to practice more with the inflator but I can't wait to do some real diving with it. Hopefully I can do so in April but in the meantime I will have to content myself with the pool.

Major kudos to Tobin and DSS!

Tried my new BP/W in the pool Thursday and am quite pleased. I had no problems with the wing pushing me face down at the surface even with a lot of air in it. It was amazing how easy it was to float on my back, like lying on a raft. Not sure why this should be, but buoyancy control using my breathing seemed much more responsive with this rig.

The shorter inflator hose will take a little getting used to, and I think I will have to ditch my Dive Alert as a consequence - it was a little tricky working the disconnect as it is. Also I need to try some inner tubing or something to get the inflator hose to lie a little flatter, or maybe run the inflator hose under the corrugated rather than over. Moving the hose to the rear position on my first stage seemed to help some. I put a bungie loop on the D-ring keeper for the corrugated hose. This seem to put a lot of strain on the hose when elevating the hose to dump air. I'm still getting used to using the rear dump under water but even at the surface this worried my a little. Any suggestions? The bungie is 3/16" and the loop is about the same size as the D-ring.

I'd suggest a loop of bungee about twice the size of the dring. That will allow you to easily raise the hose to vent. The bungee loop is not intended to "strap down" the inflator, more like keep it from floating around.

I put XS Scuba weight pouches on the upper cam band for later trim experimentation. This resulted in having to shift the buckle over to the side some so I could Velcro the excess strap, as I was unable to push it under the pocket. I haven't tried it in this position yet but I can't imagine this small shift will affect my trim very much?

Rotating the camband buckle should have no effect on your trim. Placing ballast on the tank bands, away from the diver's back may induce a greater rotational moment. Try it and see.

I like attaching my gauges to the right D-ring, but since switching from a retractor to a bolt snap I find it places the gauges a little too high. I can see them but I have to bend my neck down more severely to do so. It also causes my necklaced backup to cross over the gauges, which somehow bothers me but I not really sure it's a true problem. I'm not using a long hose for the primary yet. Any problems with placing a quick link between the bolt snap and D-ring to move it down a little?

The classic Hogarthian configuration uses only a SPG on your HP hose. This Hose is ~24" long. A bolt snap near the SPG is secured to the left hip dring. If you are currently using a console you can "rescue" the SPG from the console. The other items in the console may be possible to wrist mount.

In the short term you can always use a bit of cave line to extend the bolt snap on your gauges.

On the whole I love this rig. It's so simple and elegant, very stable, and I feel it trimmed me out nice and horizontally (though I should get someone else's perspective on this). I need to practice more with the inflator but I can't wait to do some real diving with it. Hopefully I can do so in April but in the meantime I will have to content myself with the pool.

Major kudos to Tobin and DSS!

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. It's quite valuable for me to hear from users. I'm pleased to hear the gear is working out for you.

Tobin

Wow, that was fast! Tobin, you are truly one terrific fellow. Thanks for the corrugated hose bungie suggestion - I will give that a try. My console is only an spg and depth gauge (DR), the computer and compass are on my wrists, but I'll try it on the left hip D-ring. I do like just being able to just glance down to see it. Otherwise I'll just lengthen the line a little as you suggest.

Thank you,
Lilla

I just dove my wing today in the quarry. Congratulate me...46 degrees and in a 7mm suit, hood, and gloves! :) Anyway, I ran into the same problem with the length of the corrugated hose. So, can you be a little more specific...Do I use the innertube on the harness and pass the LP hose thru that, and then just use a loop of bungie tied to the left shoulder D right for the corrugated hose and inflator? I didn't do anything with the corrugated hose and it was always floating above me. I felt like I had to hold onto it the whole time.

Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom