New Sea & Sea ys-110a released

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hashbrown

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Didn't see a post for this, so forgive me if I missed it (I was on my first trip to Cozumel last week :)) Looks like Sea & Sea has gotten around to updating the ys-110. New ys-110a release here:

New Product Release : NEW YS-110

Hope it fixes all those TTL issues I've been reading about so I can finally upgrade my old sea-life strobe!

I have a YS-110 (Orange) strobe. I looked at the specs and can't see the difference between the two strobes. I am planning to move up to 2 strobes. Should I rush out and buy a YS-110 to match my exising or not worry and get a YS-110a when I am ready for 2?

The difference in these two strobes is that DS-TTL has been revised, and hopefully it works this time...

The question is...what exactly is the issue with the original 110? The Misfires? Or TTL issues? This is my understanding of both points. Mind you...my experience is with my DX-1g and 110. Folks Ive heard who use it with their DSLR's hardwired don't seem to have issues...so I've read.

Misfires....

Before I bought my set-up I had heard rumors that there was a big issue with misfires. I recently aquired a new adapter that seems to fix the problem. On pg 3 of this thread....

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/st...-when-shooting-1g-camera-dx-1g-housing-3.html

TTL functions....

From everything I've heard from distributors and reps, this strobe, with a cam like the DX-1g, or other Fiber Optic connection, doesn't render "True" TTL. It's not capable without being hard wired. So...with a P&S with FO, instead of 12 settings, you only have a couple or few. Since I added the adapter mentioned in the Misfire thread above, I am seeing a improved difference in the metering.

So, to the original question..... Im not sure what the 110a is supposed to correct??

Greg

I am looking to upgrade my two Yellow 110s to the new Alphas. My biggest issue is the recycle time. My trigger finger on my MDX-D300 cause some blacked out (no flash) shots and slow recycle at times caused missed opportunities.

Can someone confirm that the recycle time is faster and by how much?

Almost twice as fast recycle. Now with NiMh it's 1.9 secs.

The 110a will now work with cameras (according to S&S) that have different preflashes. It's was limited before and inconsistent.

Jack

Thanks for that Jack! Will order them soon.....I wonder how much I can sell my excellent condition YS-110s now....

I am looking to upgrade my two Yellow 110s to the new Alphas. My biggest issue is the recycle time. My trigger finger on my MDX-D300 cause some blacked out (no flash) shots and slow recycle at times caused missed opportunities.

Can someone confirm that the recycle time is faster and by how much?

I have tow of these and I haven't timed it so the advertised 1.9 may be about right. I can tell you when you first turn them on, the ready light comes on almost immediately. I also can tell you that the 1.9 seconds is after a full dump, after other shots that were less than full dump it can be ready immediately.

Either way, I would say it is a lot faster, but keep in mind, we did find that the TTL workings are a bit different for wired sync. Some TTL converters didn't work the way they did with the YS-110. I use the Sea & Sea TTL III converter for Nikon and it works. I just know some others we tested didn't.

I have tow of these and I haven't timed it so the advertised 1.9 may be about right. I can tell you when you first turn them on, the ready light comes on almost immediately. I also can tell you that the 1.9 seconds is after a full dump, after other shots that were less than full dump it can be ready immediately.

Either way, I would say it is a lot faster, but keep in mind, we did find that the TTL workings are a bit different for wired sync. Some TTL converters didn't work the way they did with the YS-110. I use the Sea & Sea TTL III converter for Nikon and it works. I just know some others we tested didn't.

rjsimp,

Thanks so much for for this! I was having 2nd thoughts but this was what I was waiting to hear as I too use the same TTL controller.

It now sounds like Sea & Sea have caught up with Inons...the performance is close to that of the Z240.... especially what I hear about the recycle time. Nice to hear from someone with first hand experience!

The new 110a strobes are a very nice improvement over the orange 110s. One major problem with the old 110s was they were inconsistent when fired fiber optically to a digi cam (more specifically with Canon cameras). The new DS-TTL is much improved from what I have heard so far, and the improved recycle time is much needed (3secs down to 1.9).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom