New shark species

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mudchick

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This may belong on the shark forum but I thought it may be of interest to others as well.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/5065510.stm

This link to the BBC News website under their science and tech banner describes the discovery of a new species of shark previously believed to be another type of scalloped hammerhead. Genetic testing has shown this to be a new type that at this point is found only off the South Carolina coast. I couldn't wait to share this; I think its so cool!:D

This is fascinating -- I've heard that the hammerheads are the most "recent" of the shark species in terms of appearance. We could be looking at an entirely new subspecies here! It's a very exciting time to be a icythyologist with all these recent discoveries.

I think I must have been an icthyologist in a previous life. I am incredibly fascinated by sharks, though my non-diving friends think I'm a bit cracked. Divers know what I'm talking about. :D And in the Bahamas last month I finally got to swin with about a half dozen caribbean reefs--something I can take off of my life to-do list but I can't wait to see more!

Thanks for sharing that, Mudchick. How interesting! I hope I'm fortunate enough to get to see these guys.

Very cool, love hammerheads, have yet to see one as they don't tend to frequent the lovely warm water surrounding Scotland LOL, will just have to keep frequenting the Red Sea in the hope of sighting one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom