New Sigma ultra-wide 8mm lens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scottfiji

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I did a review of the brand new sigma wide-angle lens. It's an 8mm-16mm zoom, the widest cropped-sensor rectilinear lens out there.

897933743_F4TcD-S.jpg

The lens was fun to use and it gives a different perspective than a 10mm fisheye, but still allows you to get very close to the subject. It's an interesting new alternative for someone who also does a lot of topside photography.

911246485_R52Aa-S.jpg

hey Mark - your very welcome. Thanks for the feedback - when say "how does it compare", what would you like to see, do you mean angle of view, sharpness, contrast, chromatic aberrations, etc?

I have comparison photos on this page of the review with the nikon 10.5 fisheye -the tokina 10-17 at 10mm will look the same, and discuss other differences throughout the review.

But, perhaps I should just summarized the differences on the underwater conclusions page...

It appears the biggest difference is the Sigma lens is NOT fisheye, so when compared to the wide end of the Tokina 10-17, you will not have the level of fisheye effect on the Sigma 8-16. The Tokina is an amazing lens and performs beautifully behind a dome, however many people are dissatisfied with its above water performance due the fisheye effect...this lens solves that issue..

Now the important test, how does it perform behind a dome?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom