New Snap-On Red Filter For GoPro Dive Housing-(Giving 3 Away NOW!)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We just filmed a comparison video between the two filters yesterday in Laguna, CA.
Visibility was 25 to 30. The SRP filter seemed to have a problem when depth was greater
than visibility. Granted their filter was not made for low visibility, however when depth was
the same as visibility their filter seemed to perform well. Our Filter held its own throughout the
entire dive and performed just as well/better in the shallower depths. The results certainly surprised
all of us here.

Just to reiterate-there was no color correcting/editing done, all video is Raw from the cameras.

Here it is: Polar Pro Snap-On vs SRP "Dome Filter" GoPro Hero 2 - YouTube

Look forward to the questions,

Jeff

The quality of the Polarpro filter is more than I need. :) thanks for posting this as this made me more confident about my purchase. It's like I saved more than 50$ as I was able to buy both of your snap filters for a price that's less than the dome's. in terms of quality, well, I think based on your video I will be more than satisfied. :)

truth be told I initially wanted to purchase the SRP filter but at that price I was having second thoughts. While i am after quality i am also concerned about the value of each purchase I make. Good thing I caught your announcement and was able to hold my purchase until you released your own filters. I will post videos that I make and show you guys whether it has helped improve my footage or not. Thanks.

Hi Marty, I am not sure that I would call it a WB bug as the other two cameras did not have that issue. That was the color of the footage from all 30 or so of the clips we have past 35 to 40 feet. I do not think direct sunlight is to blame because we were at a depth that was greater than visibility and that absorbed a majority of the direct sunlight. A depth rating on a filter is always going to be relative to the visibility. THe SRP filter should not encounter these WB issues when diving in high visibility water. But you can see that the filters performed very similar at the shallower depths with more light penetration.

Thanks for the feedback though Marty, where was that video shot at? That place looks really cool.

I dont think its always caused by the sun but noticed this more often seeming to be caused by this but many times its just random and using multiple cameras it may effect 1 none or all at some point without too much of a consistant pattern. The same thing happens with all the filters I have used with the HD2 at some times but not always. Its a little random but if it happens to a camera it generally stays that way for a while, I did recently do some dives with 6 HD2's using URPro, Magic filters and the oculus lens and I had this happen wit all filters at some times which kind of makes it hard for me to do a full filter comparison due to the rather inconsistent wb issues of the HD2 generally effecting 1 of the 6 cams I used but not always the same ones and sometimes none, more likely in lower vis as the camera has less colour info given to it.

At the moment I am trying some more shooting with pro-tune to see if this helps the HD2 underwater, filters have always made a huge difference and avoid the wb bug most of the time but every now and again it just happens, it can be sun a bright light or just the general scene that confuses the awb. With protune on the AWB seems a little bit better but as can be seen in that video, it still happens and can go from great wb to very poor instantly as that dive it was fine at 30m just a bit noisier but that happened on the way back up. The dive site is the lonsdale wall in Melbourne pretty cool dive but vis was still only about 15m there so not much different to your video.

Keep up the awesome work Marty :cool2:

Just ordered a red and magenta snap-on filters. Will be interesting to see the difference they make in ''Green local water'' as well as blue water.

Hey Guys, So obviously this answer is going to be one sided, but here is our rationale. We have been researching and developing the color and materials for this product for the last 5 months. We finally found the perfect light transmission for the filter and a very durable clear acrylic for the material. The SRP filter is going to provide great color correction and looks like it is built very well. A few things we tried to design around was
1. Keeping the LCD screen readable.
2. Keeping the mode button more exposed so operation with 5mm gloves on was still possible.
3. Producing our own color so we would not have to pay another company to do it.

The SRP filter seems to block the entire LCD screen, the mode button looks to be pretty covered up which would make operation with gloves difficult (By looks not testing). They also have to pay UrPro to produce their filters which certainly will increase product cost. We have had great results with our filter and the difference between the two as far as color correction is very similar. We are not going to try to bash on SRP because their filter seems to be a good quality filter. We tried to keep the price of the filter in line with GoPro's pricing. It was a little difficult for us to wrap our heads around paying $83 for a filter, for a Dive Housing that costs $49.

Of course We believe our product is much better and SRP is going to think their filter is Well worth the extra $54.

So those are the features/design we were going for to make our product competitive and in our view better.

I think it will be interesting to hear everyone else's thoughts on this, we will definitely be able to base our future products on these thoughts/reviews.

Thanks to everyone for weighing in

How much is shipping to Australia?

I dont think its always caused by the sun but noticed this more often seeming to be caused by this but many times its just random and using multiple cameras it may effect 1 none or all at some point without too much of a consistant pattern. The same thing happens with all the filters I have used with the HD2 at some times but not always. Its a little random but if it happens to a camera it generally stays that way for a while, I did recently do some dives with 6 HD2's using URPro, Magic filters and the oculus lens and I had this happen wit all filters at some times which kind of makes it hard for me to do a full filter comparison due to the rather inconsistent wb issues of the HD2 generally effecting 1 of the 6 cams I used but not always the same ones and sometimes none, more likely in lower vis as the camera has less colour info given to it.

At the moment I am trying some more shooting with pro-tune to see if this helps the HD2 underwater, filters have always made a huge difference and avoid the wb bug most of the time but every now and again it just happens, it can be sun a bright light or just the general scene that confuses the awb. With protune on the AWB seems a little bit better but as can be seen in that video, it still happens and can go from great wb to very poor instantly as that dive it was fine at 30m just a bit noisier but that happened on the way back up. The dive site is the lonsdale wall in Melbourne pretty cool dive but vis was still only about 15m there so not much different to your video.

Some Great Feedback Marty! In the next few dives I think we will try using the same camera and switching between no filter/filter/SRP filter shooting the same scene.

If you are interesting in doing some shooting, I am sure you have all the other filters but if you would like to add another to your collection send me a PM, Thanks!

---------- Post Merged at 09:10 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:09 AM ----------

How much is shipping to Australia?
Shipping to AU via Snail Mail is $2.99 and takes about 3 weeks.
We can also priority mail it for $16.99 and it takes 6 to 10 days.
If time is critical Express mail for $35 will get there in 3 to 5 days.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Jeff

So, for those that have used the PolarPro filters ... waddya think of them?

I'm new to scuba, new to gopro (well, "underwater" gopro), and new to "quality" photography in general. Going to Belize, Roatan, and Cozmel in January and would like to do everything reasonable to get good video. I'm not a videophile (obviously) and don't need the "best" out there. I like the idea of the PolarPro price point and convenience of just snapping it on/off quickly. As long as I can get relatively clear, crisp, and as true color vids as reasonably possible, I'd be happy. It would mostly be for just video documenting our underwater adventures (nothing professional or anything like that).

Also, would be interested in advice on underwater lighting considerations. Thanks everyone!

I just ordered one..I'm leaving for Mexico in 3 1/2 weeks..hope it gets here before then..:)

I got my polarpro filters just this week. Will post some vids whenever i get the chance to use them. Cant wait!

---------- Post Merged at 12:49 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:49 PM ----------

I got my polarpro filters just this week. Will post some vids whenever i get the chance to use them. Cant wait!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom