New Strobe arms to old handles ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Blue Whale

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I've got the dual handle set up with the older Ikelite (quick release buttons) handles and would like to attach two new Pro V8 LED video lights. Is there an adapter to allow a direct connection to the base ?? I was thinking of cutting off the old posts, but then it would render the old arms useless. Any ideas will be helpful.

thanks -- see photos of the old handle and the new light arms...

Attachments

• Ike Handle.JPG
    Ike Handle.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 41
  • Ike ProV8.jpg
    Ike ProV8.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 37
I could use a 2 inch piece of 1/2 inch schedule 40 CPVC pipe to fit into the old handle (notched to lock in) and then mount a stainless steel bolt through an end cap to screw on the black starter (included in the Pro V8 light). If there's not another easy fix, this should work without creating something too complicated.

The #9573.3 Flex Ball with Extended Stem attaches directly to the top of the release handle and accepts the pop bead. The mount and nut shown in the lower right corner of the Pro-V8 picture would not be used.

The following webpage shows the Pro-V8 attached to the top of a release handle:
IKELITE Pro-V8 LED Video Light

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite
IKELITE Underwater Systems

Thanks for this information... I guess I don't have the ball because my extended stem has a plastic connector for a strobe arm with a big four winged knob. I looked through all the additional accessories that came with my various Ikelite housings and arms and don't have the flex ball with extended stems. I could see the ball working with the pop bead if I had one on the top of the black alum extended stem.
It would look something like the photo below showing the pop bead on top of the extended stem, allowing room for a Slave TTL or whatever.
Thanks again for your input.

Attachments

• prov8_digital.jpg
    prov8_digital.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 51
OK, we solved the situation with Ikelite's great design that transitioned the flex ball system with the older version 'ball'. Since my older version was too old for this, I wound up making my own adaptor which works very nice.

First of all, I took a 1/2 inch CPVC pipe and drilled the hole and cut smaller width slots with a band saw. Once they fit into the existing handle, I measured the length required for a cap to be glued on to the end with a 3/8" stainless steel bolt (with the top of the cap drilled).
Once we had a dry fit that allowed everything to fit, with the bolt in place, we glued the cap on to the pipe. Then after glue dried we snugged a stainless steel nut to the bolt with the starter flex ball which was included with the Ikelite Pro V8 light.

The lights work great with the old handles and housing !

Attachments

• assy 01.JPG
    assy 01.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 33
  • assy 02.JPG
    assy 02.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 41
  • assy 03.JPG
    assy 03.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 34
Thanks for this information... I guess I don't have the ball because my extended stem has a plastic connector for a strobe arm with a big four winged knob. I looked through all the additional accessories that came with my various Ikelite housings and arms and don't have the flex ball with extended stems. I could see the ball working with the pop bead if I had one on the top of the black alum extended stem.

The #9573.5 extended stem is a relatively new component (released a year ago) to accommodate the flex arm components, which are a different overall diameter than our other 1" and 1.25" arm systems.

Alternatively the #9575.4 attaches to the top of the release handle and provides a mounting stud to attach the Pro-V8 mounting ball to.

But it looks like your way works as well!!

Your handles are the same release handles that we still feature on current digital still and digital SLR systems. Digital video housing handles are different, featuring a mounting stud on top and bottom.

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite
IKELITE Underwater Systems

Jean,

Thanks for the great input there. I use both the Ikelite Digital still housing and use the Ikelite dual handle system with a JVC Everio Marine case. We'll be testing several different lights in Roatan this month and needed to have mounting systems that would swap out with our camera. In fact, the two Ikelite Pro V8 lights fit very comfortably on the handles. It almost looks factory except for my CPVC pipe showing through.

Back
Top Bottom