New stupid BC idea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gomi_otaku

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Does this new BC from Aqualung look like trouble to anyone else?
http://www.aqualung.com/products/i3.html

From the website (and magazine ads in Dive Training)
"The i3 is simple and intuitive. Move the lever up to go up; down to go down."

Great, who needs to really establish neutral bouyancy, especially since we only dive once a year in tropical locations. You just push up to cork to the surface, and down to crash down onto that fragile coral head!

Is this setting them up for some liability? (for the divers safety I mean, since we can't hold anyone accountable for environmental damage it seems)
gomi_

I don't think it's the BC that is the problem- it's the divers. A good diver can dive with a trashbag and a can of hairspray. A bad diver... you get the picture.

I wouldn't buy this BC because my diving style is different, but in the hands of a skilled diver, I don't see a problem. How does that saying go- guns don't kill people, bullets kill people. :wink:

By stupid, do you mean different?

I don't see what the big deal is, really. Is it any different from push the round button to inflate (go up) and the square button to deflate (go down)? [Note, insert the shape of the buttons and/or colors of your brand of BC in the previous statement to read correctly]

Just different human factors to accomplish the same thing. I can see how someone could like it, but probably only if you dove it from day one. It's like Mac versus Windows, it's what you're used to. Doesn't make either stupid.

For the recreational diver it looks to be a very simple design that alleviates the whole inflator hose running down the left shoulder. This in turn will allow for better streamlining in the water. ( As long as the diver keeps the other equipment attached properly.)

It also would require the diver to use a standard octopus as opposed to the integrated air source that some use.

OHGoDive:
It's like Mac versus Windows, it's what you're used to. Doesn't make either stupid.

I use both and I've owned both- there really is a difference between Mac and Windows. :)

OHGoDive:
By stupid, do you mean different?

I don't see what the big deal is, really. Is it any different from push the round button to inflate (go up) and the square button to deflate (go down)? [Note, insert the shape of the buttons and/or colors of your brand of BC in the previous statement to read correctly]

Are you serious? Don't you just establish neutral bouyancy and leave it? Do you really use those buttons as if it is an elevator (as it seems to be implying in the ad for the i3)??? Hopefully the only time I am adding or dumping is if I have to make minor adjustments at depth or when ascending, to compensate for my tank getting lower or my wetsuit compressing or expanding. Those buttons are *NOT* elevator buttons! That mindset is just going to cause more damage, to the environment and to divers.
gomi_

What's the hair spray for ? The trash bag is giving me some good ideas along with a couple of empty milk jugs.

douglasville diver:
What's the hair spray for ? The trash bag is giving me some good ideas along with a couple of empty milk jugs.
I can see it now- a drysuit and rebreather made completely from trashbags, milk jugs, and duct tape. :D

As for the hairspray- the first step to being a good diver, is looking good. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom