New guy looking for weighting advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I actually tried one of those compact AL80s in a pool a couple of months ago just for the heck of it. Felt kind of weird.

According to Indianvalley, they are not more "compact" than S80

[Working Pressure, capacity at working pressure, diameter, length, dry weight, empty buoyancy, full buoyancy]

Catalina S80 3000 77.4 7.25 25.8 31.6 4 -1.8
Catalina C80 3300 77.4 7.25 25.1 34.4 -0.2 -5.9

It costs more than a standard 80 al :)

But so as Steel tanks. According to leisurepro, S80 is $169, C80 is $209. Fabor HP80 is $270. Fabor LP85 is $275. Cost wise, C80's number is reasonablely between S80 and steel 80. I kind don't think cost is the main reason. their trim maybe difficult, but I haven't tried one. Still curious

Maybe it's because there're so many used standard AL 80's out there for sale. ????

Good point, but if the OP is looking to buy a tank or two he might be better off with an HP 100. He's diving colder water than either of us.

eelnoraa, I just read the specs you posted a little closer. I didn't realize that was an HP aluminum tank. Not that it adds anything to this discussion but it's interesting, no?

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom