New to board- another addiction!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ariestravelr

Reaction score
Hello everyone. My name is Jane. I am thirty-something, mom to a 13& 10 yr old boys. Grew up on Long Island- loved the beach loved the water. Never even thought of scuba diving even though the dive shops were everywhere on the island. Now that I am living in Pittsburgh it's funny that I am a diver now. My husband and I learned how to dive in Key West in April of 2001. We took the at home course with books and tapes to study- then we did our classroom, pool and openwater dives in Key West. That was rough since it was during the Conch Republic Festival. (no partying for us!) We were there to dive. I take it very seriously. I prepare before each dives.. Now I have logged 35 dives/ became AOW/ Nitrox and got to dive the Speigel Grove at 120ft for my AOW cert. in July. What a thrill. My husband and I try dive every 4-6 months. Recently we dove with Eagle Ray Divers in Cozumel in Oct while on a cruise. Since our marriage in Sept of 2000 we have been on 5 cruises. During this time we have gotten to dive in exciting ports all over the caribbean. Aruba- we dove the wreck of the Antilla and the Pedernalis with Red Sail. Curacao, Bahamas(tongue of the ocean), St. Thomas all exciting dives. I learn something new everytime I dive. I never take it for granted. Every summer we always go down to the Keys and meet up with our Dive Instuctor who is now a close friend of ours. She always finds time to dive with us for fun. I am excited about becoming a member of this board. Now I have another forum I can become addicted to.. ( I am a member of cruise critic forum which I check everyday). I am looking forward to making new dive friends and chatting on these forums.. Jane

I did a cruise to BVI's (Thomas and Maarten) in Dec then I cruised again in January to Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. While it is wonderful to use the cruise as a "breakfast sampler" of diving I found myself wanting much more.

Of course the next step for me is a full week stay or a live-aboard no more rushing in and out. I think I've learned for sure the quick ports of call and long days at sea are not in my blood. I heard a joke recently when I was complaining about cruising in a conversation with someone they said - "Hey aren't cruises for newly-weds and nearly-deads", <ROTFL>. Of course I know better, when I went with my wife in December it was a fantastically romantic trip, but when I went the second time it was with my Dad - and the only magic was the time we spent underwater scuba diving.

I enjoyed the trips, it was worth the experience, but I think the only way I'd cruise again will be an anniversary celebration with my wife.

Thanks for sharing your story, Welcome to the scubaboard.

Welcome aboard! If you want the utlimate dive cruise check out the Norwegian Sun Western Caribbean. It stops in Grand Cayman, Roatan, Belize and Cozumel. I don't like cruises much (my wife is the cruise critic member) but that cruise was pretty good. If you could just take the food from Celebrity and put it on a new boat with that sort of itinerary!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom