New to DIN tanks- need advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flspy

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
2014-06-03 09.31.51.jpg2014-06-03 09.31.58.jpg

I just purchased my first DIN regulator. Problem is, it seems like they connected the console hose (lower left in photo) to the wrong side.
That is, at least if i want my console on my left side running parallel to my BC inflator hose. Am i wrong?

Also, what maintenance do I need to do on the tank threads? Silicone? Will that conflict with Nitrox?

And don't I need a plug or something for the actual valve?
Thanks.

Chris

Last edited:
Most divers would mount that regulator to the tank with the high pressure hose on top and low pressure hoses on the bottom. It becomes a question of, is your hose on the wrong side or is the reg mounted upside down.

As WheelsUSN said, you appear to have it upside down. I can't tell exactly from the picture, but I'm guessing that the LP ports are on a swivel turret and after turning the regulator right side up, you can rotate the turret to get the second stages back on the right side. This would also prevent your second stage reg hoses from crossing since the octo hose would be at the back instead of the front.

Correct orientation?

OK, I see now. This is what it should look like. The HP ports are at the top.
The bottom swivels, and BC inflator and console hoses are in alignment.
What about lubrication of the threads?

2014-06-03 10.40.08.jpg

OK, I see now. This is what it should look like. The HP ports are at the top.
The bottom swivels, and BC inflator and console hoses are in alignment.
What about lubrication of the threads?

there is no need to lubricate threads anywhere on your setup.

Really? how about a plug for the valve? I have a dust cap, but that is it.​

Thanks. Feeling like a total newb. But asking questions and getting answers is why I always stay safe.

---------- Post added June 3rd, 2014 at 11:03 AM ----------

Really? how about a plug for the valve? I have a dust cap, but that is it.

Using a dust plug is not a bad idea, although you could also just blow out anything that might be inside the valve opening prior to installing the reg by either using your breath or tank pressure.

Putting in a stainless steel plug into the DIN valve does have an added benefit in that if the valve is bumped or something is dropped on it, it is less likely to be damaged such that the regulator won't screw into it anymore.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom