new to diving, 8 days in Utila, a slew of questions!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

megabulk

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all! I've never dove before, but am leaving for Utila in a week. I've gotten loads of useful info from this forum, but I still have a lot of questions!

I'm on a limited budget: maybe not quite rock-bottom, but I'd like to not spend very much money. Hot water and air-conditioning seem like unnecessary luxuries.

I'll be arriving in Tegucigalpa at 11:30AM, and would love to get to Utila that very same day. I've heard Sosa airlines has flights... should I make a reservation now? (And if so, through whom?) Or should I just get a ticket when I get in to TGU?

I'm planning on getting my Open Water Cert and then just doing "fun dives" for the rest of the time. I've heard that the best way to pick a dive shop is just by walking around and getting a feel for them all... but I have this weird fear that I'm somehow arriving in the peak of high season and that things might be booked up? Is that possible, or can I be more casual about picking a place? Would it be cheaper to negotiate for some 8-day package with accommodations included?

I've heard now that all OWC classes include the cost of the book, but would it somehow be to my advantage to buy the book now and bone up before I go?

Does anyone have any recommendations for a particular dive shop or budget lodging? A friend tells me that Alton's is a good place to learn, but I'd be interested in hearing stories of other shops. My priorities are: safety & quality of instruction, price, variety of sites, and *whale sharks*, in that order. (Okay, okay, I'll try not get my hopes up about the whale sharks...)

Lastly, I've heard stories that Mastercard isn't as widely accepted as Visa is. I only have MC, so what's the best way to deal with $$$ in Utila? Traveler's checks? A fat wad of cash hidden in my shoe?

Thanks in advance to all for you for providing such a valuable message board!
jonathan

megabulk:
Hot water and air-conditioning seem like unnecessary luxuries.

As for the hot water thing, tell us how you feel about that after you start your diving program! AC might be optional, but hot showers aint. :11doh:

I'm planning on getting my Open Water Cert and then just doing "fun dives" for the rest of the time. I've heard that the best way to pick a dive shop is just by walking around and getting a feel for them all...

I wouldn't try "feeling" :D any of them, but you might want to look for certain things. Professionalism, the kind you look for in a dive op would be a good indicator, but that's observational checklists that you acquire over time... or with an archival search on SCUBABoard. You're about to get a lot of suggestions, all well meaning, some based on knowledge.

but I have this weird fear that I'm somehow arriving in the peak of high season and that things might be booked up?

You're at the end of peak season, such as it is. Semana de Santa is over, most of the SA/CA crowd has moved on back to school or home. Europeans went back to work. Shouldn't be too bad, but weather is starting to become primo.

I've heard now that all OWC classes include the cost of the book, but would it somehow be to my advantage to buy the book now and bone up before I go?

Yes, distinctly so. The advantage would become evident if you were to read and study it back home, completing every quiz and study guide before you became distracted by the beauty of Utila. better yet- do all the pool work back home and go to Utila on your check-out referral.

A VISA card is the one to have anywhere outside the USA.

If you book early, you can always be guaranteed to see a Whale Shark! :05:

UTL
girl ?

Welcome Megabulk,
No need to book ahead just have a nice stroll on the island and pick your shop, ask many questions and keep in mind that you get what you pay for so dont go for the cheapest because then you might missout on the whalesharks.
Plenty places without ac and hot water like tropical and blueberry hill hotel.
They have a ATM now but dont know if it works or accepts MC but get some travelerchecks. Get your Sosa or Atlantic ticket on tegus airport.
Good idea to get your book and pic before but dont know if it will save you any time or money the course will take max 4 days.
I hope this info gets you anywhere just go and have fun.

RoatanMan:
A VISA card is the one to have anywhere outside the USA.

If you book early, you can always be guaranteed to see a Whale Shark! :05:

MasterCard is becoming more and more accepted though. I've used mine quite a number of times - for vacations on Roatan, to buy computers and appliances, etc. Banco de Occidente issues MasterCard as their credit card.

While Mastercard is becoming more & more accepted for purchases, one thing you'll want to keep in mind is that the only ATM, when it works, takes Visa.

Chances are pretty good you're hotel & dive op will take your Mastercard for classes & your stay (you can scout out the websites to see which shops accept what), but to have walking cash, dinner out, bar money, buy groceries etc. You'll want to have either cash, or traveler's checks that you can cash at the bank. It's best to get them in smaller denominations so you can cash only what you need at the given time. Also keep in mind there is a bank charge for using credit cards in Honduras. Most places pass that fee on to the client, rather then raise the price for everyone by including it in the price.

You should have no trouble finding a room for the night, and many Dive Op's actually include a night or two stay in their course package. Most people fly in (or ferry in), walk around a bit & see what 'feels' right before deciding on a place to stay, and a dive op.

My .02? Pick your dive shop 1st. Talk to the Instructors, and their students if you can. Find someplace where you feel comfortable with the people, as well as the place. Then see if they include any housing. Even if they don't, at least you'll know the general area you want to stay in so you don't have far to go each day. While the island is small, it's still a pain in the butt to be staying in Blue Bayou, if you're taking classes up by the point.

Welcome Megabulk.

I just got back from Utila in early February.

If you're looking for cheap and A/C and hot water aren't a problem, I stayed at Hotel Utila right next to Bay Island College of Diving (PADI). The hotel is $12US per day and is worth every penny :wink: BICD seemed to be good for instruction, but was not so good for fun dives.

If I was going back to do training and stay for a week of fun diving, I would call Utila Dive Centre (also PADI) and find out about any packages they might have for Mango Inn. I dove with UDC and BICD and if I was interested in fun dives, I would pick UDC in a second. And I know they take Mastercard

You could book your dives with UDC and stay somewhere besided Mango Inn pretty cheap.

I would recommend getting your OW crew pack first and doing all the reading/highlighting and review questions BEFORE going to Utila. Trust me, you're not going to want to spend your time reading manuals and studying.

Have fun, but be careful; you may not want to leave Utila once you get there.:D

Okidoki is right on.....

Arrange your flight when you get to Tegu....When you get to the utila airport/HeHe, ask the driver to take you to the Hotel Rose..at least for the first night, secure and hot water, about $15.00. Right across from Deep Blue Divers...Do what Oki suggested...walk around and talk to the people at the different ops...get a feel for the folks..what was great last week may suck today...big overturn in people, etc. It's a great place to learn to dive and have fun...might also check out Hans at Ecomarine. Shirley and Phil at Deep Blue will be most helpful also.

Have fun!!

Regards,

UTLgirl:
While Mastercard is becoming more & more accepted for purchases, one thing you'll want to keep in mind is that the only ATM, when it works, takes Visa.

credit card for a cash advance at a machine or even inside the bank. The interest rates are insane. I will only use my debit card for direct withdrawals out of my checking and savings accounts at ATMs. I pay with cash only and use a credit card only when absolutely necessary. I feel if I don't have the cash up front, I don't need to be going into debt to vacation. I wouldn't waste my time with traveler's checks. They are more hassle than they are worth - at least on the mainland they are a royal pain in the butt to cash.

UTLgirl:
Chances are pretty good you're hotel & dive op will take your Mastercard for classes & your stay (you can scout out the websites to see which shops accept what), but to have walking cash, dinner out, bar money, buy groceries etc. You'll want to have either cash, or traveler's checks that you can cash at the bank. It's best to get them in smaller denominations so you can cash only what you need at the given time. Also keep in mind there is a bank charge for using credit cards in Honduras. Most places pass that fee on to the client, rather then raise the price for everyone by including it in the price.

I'm very aware of all of this. I live and work in Honduras.

UTLgirl:
You should have no trouble finding a room for the night, and many Dive Op's actually include a night or two stay in their course package. Most people fly in (or ferry in), walk around a bit & see what 'feels' right before deciding on a place to stay, and a dive op.

We're not most people. The SO has multiple sclerosis so "walking a round to check out hotels." is really not the best option.

UTLgirl:
My .02? Pick your dive shop 1st. Talk to the Instructors, and their students if you can. Find someplace where you feel comfortable with the people, as well as the place. Then see if they include any housing. Even if they don't, at least you'll know the general area you want to stay in so you don't have far to go each day. While the island is small, it's still a pain in the butt to be staying in Blue Bayou, if you're taking classes up by the point.

I have cardiac problems in addition to the SO having MS. Finding a dive shop is a moot point. Neither of us dives although he was diving (courtesey of the USMC) long before PADI, NAUI, or any other organization was ever thought of - back in the late 1950's. The diver in the family gets to stay home and take care of the dogs, pay the housekeeper, maintain the orchid garden, etc. We're only going because I will need a vacation from a teachers workshop that has 40 hours of classes crammed into 4 days.

Thanks for all the great advice! I will definitely print out this thread and be using it as a touchstone while I get my bearings.
I'll look into the Hotel Rose and the Hotel Utila, Cudabait and SeanMc: thanks for the recommendations.
My Mastercard's actually a *debit* card: credit cards and their insane interest rates scare me. I'll bring cash, and hopefully there'll be a working ATM to replenish the funds.

I think I'll try to get a copy of the OWC book and read it on the plane. What's it called? And would it be available in any large bookstore?

I'm going to have a blast! And I'm grateful for y'all's invaluable advice!

jonathan

Jonathan,
Check out any PADI dive shop in your area and they can sell you the book or the crew pack I suggest get the crew pack and see if you can get some of the course price.

Have fun and share your experience when you get back many more newbies or oldies could use the info of your experience.

Okidoki

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom