New to Diving Need advice on Regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive a Legend LX on my single. Best breathing reg at depth I've ever owned. I'm currently in deco class and purchased a couple of Apex XTX200's. I will take them out for a spin this weekend for the first time. The reason I chose the XTX200's is the low work of breathing at depth, lifetime service parts, and versability. I live in Texas, but if I ever decide to go up north and do some seriously cold diving I'm set.
Carrie

I don't necessarily agree with mattboy on buying a BC and wetsuit first. You need to try a few to make sure which one is right for you, but i'd hardly say it would be the forerunner in purchasing your gear. As you're starting out, sometimes you may get a bit cold in the water, but a wetsuit isn't necessarily your life support system, whereas regulators are.

I think I said wetsuit first, because that's what makes the biggest difference in diving comfort and enjoyment, and I totally stand by that. Diving with a rental wetsuit sucks; they never fit right and they're usually not ideal for the conditions you're in. And you don't need any experience to choose a wetsuit other than knowing what thickness to get for your typical conditions and the ability to tell if something fits well.

This nonsense about regulators being "life support' really is getting tiresome. First and foremost, any recreational diver who's life is in jeopardy due to a reg failure is doing something very wrong. If reg failure were truly life-threatening, there would be a lot of dead divers, lots of lawsuits, and actual licensing for reg technicians. I'm sure you realize that diver training is based partly on how to handle a reg failure so that you don't die.

Second, there is no relationship between regulator cost and it's safety. This is simply a tired sales ploy to get naive divers to buy more expensive regs. If safety were the only issue in regulators, we'd all be diving MK2s, and they're cheap. If cheap rental regulators were really dangerous, do you think anyone would rent them?

I agree with Mattboy. Start with the things you need to fit you to be comfortable in the water. Exposure suit, mask, fins, gloves, etc.need to fit right--diving is no fun when your mask leaks, your suit is too big and does not keep you warm, or the only fins for rent are too big for your feet. BC's, regulators, and computers are easy to rent, and the fit is less critical to you, so these can come a bit later. Getting some fun dives in with your first wave of equipment will give you a better idea of the things you like and dislike about the gear you rent or the gear your buddies are using--it will help a lot in your decision process for these things.

This nonsense about regulators being "life support' really is getting tiresome. First and foremost, any recreational diver who's life is in jeopardy due to a reg failure is doing something very wrong. If reg failure were truly life-threatening, there would be a lot of dead divers, lots of lawsuits, and actual licensing for reg technicians. I'm sure you realize that diver training is based partly on how to handle a reg failure so that you don't die.

Alright, i was just trying to offer some advice, but now I have a few more counterpoints. I agree with you that buying your own wetsuit is a good buy, but not necessarily a top three purchase, and I wouldnt be buying a BC before regulators.

You said calling regs life support systems is tiresome? I would have thought that as a Divemaster you would have definitely called a regulator a life support system. If it stops working underwater, it's not supplying gas, therefore it's not facilitating breathing is it? That tends to shorten your underwater life expectancy a little.

Reg "failures" happen, and divers HAVE died because of that, and gear service techs have been sued... even if this is a relatively rare event. If this is new to you, you need to go back to school. You might say "Well they've got their buddy there, why the hell would they die?" Have you ever seen a new diver use their primary purge button and end up with a freeflowing reg? Trust me, they aren't calmly signalling their buddy or looking for their AAS as trained. They usually freak, or try to bolt, or try to pull their buddy's reg, then THEY freak, and then you really have problems.

Sure, as professionals we're trained to deal with freeflows, but no matter what happens in an ideal world, a poorly maintained/cheap regulator can mean the difference between an uncontrolled ascent and stabilising a panic situation. A wetsuit that doesn't fit you properly isn't necessarily going to make a new diver bolt to the surface, but a hard breathing reg will if they start to panic for whatever reason.

And reg techs do take licensing courses. A dealer representative has to sign them off to say they can service gear in a basic way, in house for the dive shop, or on a personal basis to the public. It costs money and it makes them accountable for any equipment malfunctions should it come back to them that they didnt change a poppet pad or an o-ring or such.

I really wish people would stop whinging about badly fitting wetsuits. Toughen up a bit! If you make sure you pick the right one to start with when renting, you should be fine. Do five or six dives a day in any temperature of water whilst working and it might put a bit of steel in your resolve as to what is acceptable/not acceptable in terms of being a little chilly. What sort of dive operation constantly rents out wetsuits that are going to make their divers cold? I've rented loads of wetsuits when travelling and never had a problem.

-- Nemo

Wetsuits.....something else to consider. How many divers have pee'ed in that wetsuit? How well does the LDS clean them? Something to consider when you rent. To me, it's like wearing someone else's underwear.

You can save a great deal of money buying wetsuits offseason, just like clothes. Buy your 3mm and shorties in the winter, 5 and 7 mm in the summer.

Carrie

I think I said wetsuit first, because that's what makes the biggest difference in diving comfort and enjoyment, and I totally stand by that. Diving with a rental wetsuit sucks; they never fit right and they're usually not ideal for the conditions you're in. And you don't need any experience to choose a wetsuit other than knowing what thickness to get for your typical conditions and the ability to tell if something fits well.

This nonsense about regulators being "life support' really is getting tiresome.

I agree entirely. Diving in warm water is one thing, diving in cool or cold water requires a good fitting wetsuit made out of better than run-of-the-mill neoprene. Will a clapped out rental suit do? Sure, if you don't mind freezing your butt off and probably suffer through one dive and then quit for the rest of the day. Or if a suit is too tight, it's going to choke the living heck out of you and limits your mobility.

But the diver should at least be familiarized with the types of wetsuits and types of neoprene available for that area of diving. Not all neoprenes are the same.

Regulators are way overblown. Don't get me wrong, I have a pretty damn nice setup from Atomic Aquatics, but I can easily dive with an el cheapo Sherwood or Oceanic. They will feed air to me just fine. Maybe the mouthpiece wouldn't be as comfortable, maybe the second stage's exhaust would send bubbles across my vision instead of venting to the side, maybe the breathing effort would be a bit more, maybe I would only get 1-HP port instead of 2-HP port, maybe I wouldn't have a swivel for the 1st stage or a swivel for a second stage, maybe ad nauseaum. BUT the el cheapo regulator would feed me air just fine in most any diving environment short of ice diving.

Regulators don't directly affect your diving skills and technique developments. They are hooked up to your tank and go into your mouth. That's it.

To me a good wetsuit/dry suit (if the condition calls for) is the most important. Then comes the BC. Sure, all BCs will float you, but some makes it a lot easier to fit to your body and trim out underwater than others, a BC could improve or hamper your bodily movement.

Based on your posts and some of my own thought I think I am going to go ahead and go after my BC and Reg set up first. The wetsuit can wait for now, mostly becasue I am losing weight and changing sizes so I don't want to invest in a suit then later need a new one. Thanks for the info everyone! It's been helpful.

These answers always remind me of the scramble and then large "pile on" after a fumble in football :) Just use the "search" function here and you'll have pleanty to read for over a year.

Ehh.. Id say buy BC first, but depending on how much your going to dive in the near future and how much weight you plan on loosing then maby the reg. Both items are kinda critical with regs rentals are usually beaten up a bit but also the dive shop aslong as they are doing the job they are supposed to be should be making sure they are reliable. The BC you gotta know where all your dumps are, the way to weight it to get nice bouyancy control and with renting they may change a bit. As far as regs go, I dive an AL Mikron, Buddy dives AL titan LX, Another the legend, a genesis, Beuchat, one dives a scuba Pro (i think the MK 25), and another a metal dacor pacer. We are all capible of going the same places, dont feel like were going to die and the only problem is the Beuchat is hard to get serviced around here now. With that being said Get what fits your budget, has weight of 2nd stage you like, is locally servicable by multiple shops (so if one drops that line still better chance of getting it serviced). I would kinda avoid buying Used because you gotta get it checked out before you can use it and price to get it in the water after checked out at times tends to be close to comprable regs new. There are reviews done by Scuba Mag i think, for regulators that they hooked them up to machines and had actual data collected (if i recall correctly the titan LX was the best performer for the buy and the oceanic delta 4 was slightly more comfortable almost as easy breathing but like 100 bucks more)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom