New to diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dromeo3

New
Reaction score
My wife and I are going to take diving classes this fall/winter and we are looking at buying the basic gear mask, fins, and snorkel. I was wondering should we get split fins or regular fins or is it of no substance since neither of us has tried diving.

Hanging in Brooklyn

welcome to the sb ... congrats on your decision to take classes ... it will be an awesome experience.

Hi dromeo3 - welcome to SB! I am a new diver as well. I was certified this summer. I currently have a pair of paddle fins and am researching about split fins as well. I understand that there are benefits to both. Please be sure to check out:

http://www.thescubaguide.com/introduction/
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/Scuba_Fins.asp

Larry & Joe at ScubaToys like to add their own personal opinion regarding various products and it is fun to read them. You may also pickup the phone and talk to them. I personally have spoken to Joe. I have seen Larry here on SB. I am leaning towards the split fins myself. Good luck with your research.

Yes, one or the other. :lol2:

Howdy and welcome to SB!

It'll help if you'll put your location in your profile.

If you haven't yet, click Forums above and start going thru the list - looking for those of interest to you, especially your local dive club. Click the link in my Sig below to PM me if I can help you around here..

:cowboy: don

Congratulations on taking the first steps toward an incredible life adventure!
Life's crazy, live it! If you ever need any advice or help, we're here for you.

You'll get tons of advice from everyone on the board. Just remember, don't go with the "all or none" rule...if somebody says one brand is "all bad" or "all good", remember all brands have some good and some not so good. It's going to depend on YOUR personal wants and needs. It has to FIT YOU correctly. There's lots of good advice, check around and ask questions, read posts, rent gear if you can and try it out. I have the best job in the world, I get to test dive the gear we sell (and lots of the gear we don't sell because I tested it and didn't like it) so I can give you advice on a lot of this stuff. Your heads going to swim with all the advice you get!

Check out the specific forum for the gear you're looking at and take your time before deciding. I personally recommend paddle fins for beginners because we've seen that beginning students seem to enjoy the paddle fins more. It's all a personal thing though. Let me know if I can help.

Good luck!

Britt :fish:
:fish:

Welcome to SB, If you have any questions about diving this is the place to be.
Happy diving:D

Welcome to the board. Lots of good people and information here. Enjoy.

We have an indoor pool inside our facility, and let our students try different fins. The split fins win hands down from divers that try them. I have thousands of dives and love them, and new divers seem to get a great benefit as you don't need to do a "special divers kick" with them. You just kick... and you go. With very little effort.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom