New to GoPro underwater video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Arianna

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Good evening!

I hope that I won't annoy you too much, as I'm a complete newbie to both GoPro and underwater photography...but I figure that we all have to start somewhere! We are planning a trip to St. John, USVI, this spring, so I bought a GoPro Black Hero3 for my hubby for his birthday (to give him time to get comfortable with it). I'll give him the SRP URPRO CYD Dome lens and tray for Christmas - but I was wondering: as he'll mostly use it during snorkeling vs. our open water certification dives (at least I HOPE so!), he shouldn't need lights, should he? Are there any other accessories I should consider buying for him? Also (although I'm sure he's already checking this out), if you happen to have any tips or know of a helpful website regarding underwater video, I know that he's anxious to learn!!

Thank you very much!
Arianna

Hi Arianna,
It's good to hear you got him a GoPro. I find UW filming to be fun. The filter and tray are definitely a good start. Lights aren't necessary during the day obviously while using a filter in most cases unless you are trying to video in dark crevices or such.
What you will probably want are extra batteries and anti-fog inserts. The GoPro doesn't get much battery life so you may get an hour from a single battery, depending how much you record. Look up Wasabi batteries. They are much cheaper and better than GoPro branded batteries.
These forums are full of tips regarding UW video. Just use the search function and you will find hours worth of discussions on the topic. It would be advantageous to start researching how GoPro video operates UW. It''l save you headaches in the long run.

Thanks very much! I have purchased both the anti-fog inserts and the Wasabi batteries/chargers (I'd forgotten that, lol). I did a fair bit a research before buying; it's nice to know I did an okay job! And thanks, I'll turn him loose in the forums here and let him amaze me this spring!!

Slap on a red filter if you'll be going below snorkel depths,lights and tray if you're doing deep/night dives. Start recording :wink:

I find a double handle tray to be easier to handle and less jerky than smaller mounts

Get a nice retractor/snappy coil bungee to keep the entire setup close if he were to drop it

Slap on a red filter if you'll be going below snorkel depths,lights and tray if you're doing deep/night dives. Start recording :wink:

I find a double handle tray to be easier to handle and less jerky than smaller mounts

Get a nice retractor/snappy coil bungee to keep the entire setup close if he were to drop it

What would you define as snorkel depth?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Rather than creating my own thread, I'll piggyback off of yours. I hope that's okay!

I'm definitely buying either the Hero3 or Hero3+ within the next few days. Can someone explain whether they can tell a significant difference in the quality of videos? So far, they are looking the same to me (mostly).

Can you tell me, other than the Flip 3.1 and Wasabi battery, is there anything else I need to buy? The camera looks in advertisements like it comes inside of a waterproof housing; is that correct?

Rather than creating my own thread, I'll piggyback off of yours. I hope that's okay!

I'm definitely buying either the Hero3 or Hero3+ within the next few days. Can someone explain whether they can tell a significant difference in the quality of videos? So far, they are looking the same to me (mostly).

Can you tell me, other than the Flip 3.1 and Wasabi battery, is there anything else I need to buy? The camera looks in advertisements like it comes inside of a waterproof housing; is that correct?

If you get the Hero 3+, you'll need to purchase the beefier dive housing that comes with the original Hero 3. I haven't seen much Hero 3+ video to notice any difference. But I've heard from a few that the Hero3 + has sharper images within 4 ft of the camera and softer images beyond that distance.

Get yourself something to hold the camera with, be it a handle, pole or tray.

Any recommendations for things I can find on amazon or ebay? Or, will pretty much anything work?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom