New to Northwest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jokeborn

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello everyone, I guess I will soon be new chum for the Orcas in the area. I am moving to the Portland area from Florida. I am new to the drysuit scene but would love to see the sights (and sites) the northwest has to offer. I am especially interested in diving Clear Lake (that's close to where my parents live). Basically just doing a shout out and am interested in locating some potential dive buddies in the area. I am addicted to diving (my wife sadly nods her head) and am willing to go anytime of the year.

Here's a very friendly local board where you will likely find some folks to dive with ... http://www.nwdiveclub.com/

There are several Oregon divers active on that board ... as well as a lot of Washington divers who will be happy to show you the sites of the Sound ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Welcome aboard!

Welcome to the PNW!

Post here if you plan to head to the Sound area (or on the NWdiveclub site) and you'll be beating dive buddies off with a stick. We fall upon reasons to dive like hungry animals around here (and dive when we haven't got any reasons, too).

Welcome to Oregon.

You'll probably want to wait until later in the summer before you try and tackle Clear Lake. My LDS does an annual Clear Lake dive in August. This year it will be Saturday, August 25 for a full moon dive and Sunday, August 26 for the daytime dive. http://www.hydrosports.com/Calendar.htm

Cool, I saw an article on clear lake years ago in Dive Training and remarked that I knew the area because my parents had brought me there. I have wanted to go down in it since

First off, welcome aboard, jokeborn!! :)

As soon as you get that drysuit checkout done and get a bit of time in it(Clear Lake has some amazing visibility, but the bottom is nothing but silt that just hangs in the water column if you kick it up..), drop me a line and I'll head out to Clear Lake with you. (Spring, Summer, Fall...whenever...even in mid-August last year the water temp was still only 40...it was 39 last week... :) ) The SO and I are in Eugene, so we're a bit closer to it than you are in Portland, but we'd be glad to head up there with you!

Cheers,
Austin

Welcome to the PNW. Drop me a line when you plan on diving Clear Lake. I was up there yesterday with 100 ft. Vis and 39 degree water temps. During our surface interval it even snowed a little bit.

-Kstnbike

Hi Jokeborn,

One of the local Portland clubs is oregonscuba.com The meetings are first Thurs each month at the Busters BBQ in Tigard. Gots lots of local divers and monthly club dives. Drop me a line if you want to check out Clear Lake or head up to Puget Sound. I dive a couple times a month and would be happy to show you some of the sites.

Steve B

StevenB:
One of the local Portland clubs is oregonscuba.com The meetings are first Thurs each month at the Busters BBQ in Tigard.
MMmmm Busters. Baby Back Ribs. Oops, now I'm drooling on my keyboard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom