New to SCUBA, trying to learn a few things

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

urbanking

New
Reaction score
Hey everyone. My name is david, and i'm fron ontario canada. I am soon going to enrole in a scuba class with a f ew other freinds who are also interested. I'm just browsing the forums learning as much as I can. I answered most of my questions already, but I still have 2.

#1) Does anyone know about diving in northern ontario? What is it like? how do you like it?

#2) Could someone give me a list of the absolute bare minumum in equiptment that I will need to dive once i finish my course. I want to start saving and am hearing about tons of gadgets. What do i actually HAVE to have?

The equipment you need will be covered in class, but essentially consists of mask, fins, regulator, buoyancy device, weights and exposure protection.

You need to buy only mask and fins. The other equipment can generally be rented after you're certified.

good luck

MD

Welcome to our favorite sport/leisure time activity/passion/addiction/ and the boards.

Check in with the Ontario Freaks for diving in that area. They are good folk.

Good luck to ya

Hey urbanking,

I wish ya the best of luck with scuba and ontario diving. I lived there for 5 years myself but didnt make the big splash til I moved to Vancouver. I am sure you are in good company over there.
Good luck

Welcome to the world of diving David. I hope you find it just as stimulating and addicting as the rest of us!
Good luck!

urbanking.......Welcome!!!!

I truly wish you the best and hope you enjoy diving!!!!! It has been the best thing I ever did for myself. If you enjoy it even 1/2 as much as I have, you are in for the time of your life.

As for gear needed..........

The initial items required would not only be the mask and fins, but also a snorkel.

It really depends on how much diving you are going to be doing as to how much and how soon you start on getting more gear. It will be easier (on you) if you do own your own gear, but it is also wise to take a look around, talk to some people and see the different options out there. Each individual is different and what works for one person might not be the right thing for you. If you are able to, see if you can try out several different types of gear before making your decision. You'll be happier in the long run if you are able to decide by trying it yourself.

Whatever you decide on, if you are comfortable with it.......... then you made the right decision.

Good luck, and Dive Safe.

Aquanaut713 once bubbled...
urbanking.......Welcome!!!!

The initial items required would not only be the mask and fins, but also a snorkel.

If you rent a snorkle, that saves throwing it away once you get out of the OW class

I was lucky enough to find a LDS that had quality rental gear and a "no sales pitch" way of doin business. This meant that while i trained for my Open Water Cert the gear was included ($125.00) that included EVERYTHING, rentals, 1 on 1 time, dives etc. The only extra thing I had to pay for was 2 pool dives at local YMCA( $3.00 each time). My LDS is all about informing and educating you so you dont end up spending $$$ then LATER finding out - Oh GEE gawrsh I SHOULDA bought this do-hickey instead.
Try to determine how they (LDS/instructors) like to do business. Are they the kind of people that let you learn your own mistakes, offer little guidance/education as far as equipment and future growth of your diving styles?
My first purchase for dive gear was a UK D8R light, my 2nd purchase was big-eyes mask, my 3rd purchase was DiveRite BCD with TransPacII bladder system. 4th purchase was back up light. My 5th purchase was Pro CBX 450 drysuit. My latest purchase was a pair of split fins that were used only 15 times or so.
Absolutely everything I bought I got a wicked deal on. Everything was brand new cept for the split-fins. I paid anywhere from 20-40 percent LESS than everyone else in town..WHY ? Cuz my LDS is also a dive club and prefers NOT to mark up gear..he charges cost..you find that in your area and you are in good hands my friend.
I HIGHLY recommend lookin around for a deal. You may not have to spend $300 on mask/snork/fins. It all comes down to how the LDS like to run their business.

All the best,
pS ..if i had read your last paragraph the 1st time i read your thread I woulda posted this earlier..heh.

The addition of the snorkel to the list of items needed is, in my opinion, not a waste of money. However, that is completely up to you. I would advise discussing it with your LDS/instructor to see what he/she recommends.

IF the LDS/instructor is reputable, they won't try to force you to purchase gear that you don't need. There are some of those out there that are only out to sell you whatever they can. But there are also some out there that want to make sure you are informed/educated so you can make the safest & smartest decisions about your gear purchases.

As Freeman stated:
"My LDS is all about informing and educating you so you dont end up spending $$$ then LATER finding out - Oh GEE gawrsh I SHOULDA bought this do-hickey instead."

As I stated earlier, what is right for one person may not be right for you.......and vice versa.

Again, Good Luck and Dive Safe. And.............ENJOY!!
:saver: :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom