New to the thread, and with a question for you veterans!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

srgyork

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey guys/and girls, I am new here to this awesome thread!

I am glad to finally be a part of this amazing community.

I am currently going for my Dive-Masters, and a open water guest had a question for me i could not answer so i come here for an answer.

The question is "Does Lung Over expansion happen immediately or can it happen an hour or more after a dive?"

Probably a silly question but i ask anyways.

Thank you buddies.

Overexpansion injuries can manifest themselves in four ways.
1. Arterial Gas Embolism (AGE). In this case, air gets into the bloodstream and works its way to the small capillaries of the brain where they block the blood flow. The result is a stroke. This can result in paralysis, brain damage, and even death.
2. Mediastinal Emphysema. This condition results when air collects in the cavity surrounding the heart. This puts pressure on the heart and can result in heart failure.
3. Pneumothorax. Pneumothorax occurs when air gets in the pleural cavity on the outside of the lungs. This condition causes chest pain and can result in collapsed lung(s).
4. Subcutaneous Emphysema. This one is the least dangerous of the four manifestations of overexpansion injuries. In this case, air collects in the subcutaneous tissues usually around the shoulders and neck. The skin is itchy and spongy.

Symptoms of lung overexpansion injuries normally occur immediately, and can include difficulty breathing, chest pain, crackling under the skin, unconsciousness, or death. Dizziness can be a symptom of an arterial gas embolism from a lung overexpansion injury, and chest pain or tightness can be a symptom of lung barotrauma. These symptoms are associated with other signs of injury in cases of lung overexpansion, however note that other less serious causes can create similar symptoms. A mild middle ear barotrauma can also cause a feeling of dizziness after diving. Shifting heavy gear, breathing cold air, breathing deeply when you're not used to it can cause chest discomfort. Only a medical evaluation by medical personnel who know what to look for can give an accurate diagnosis.
If in doubt start first aid immediately while transportation to a medical facility is arranged.

First aid for lung injuries includes delivery of 100% oxygen and CPR if necessary.

You'll find more posts on this subject in the Diving Medicine Forum.

Thank you very much!

Hi.

What Mike wrote is pretty much straight out of the book. Make sure you read the books and learn the physics and physiology of diving, as you'll be tested on that when you take your written divemaster exam :wink:

The question is "Does Lung Over expansion happen immediately or can it happen an hour or more after a dive?"

Why are you asking this question?

R..

As a former trauma surgeon and current emergency physician, I'd like to amend the post above a little bit.

The actual INJURY to the lung occurs at the time of overexpansion, but symptoms may be delayed, particularly with mediastinal or subcutaneous emphysema. If the lung rupture is small, it may take time for the air to make its way through the mediastinum, or into the subcutaneous tissues. I would not be at all surprised to see such an injury become noticeable several hours after the dive in question -- and in fact, my one experience with subQ emphysema in a fellow diver was that he had some mild chest discomfort not long after the dive, but did not notice the crackling of the skin until that evening at dinner.

I have also seen cases of non-diving-related spontaneous pneumothorax present DAYS after the event, and only in taking a careful history does one piece together the information that says the injury occurred much earlier.

Arterial gas embolism, on the other hand, can be seriously symptomatic (or lethal) even while the diver is still in the water.

R..
Because he's a DM candidate and somebody asked her a question for which she didn't have a good answer to. Why do you need to ask? It was a good question.
Welcome to Scuba Board, Srgyork! Good luck in your DM program! I'm nearly done with mine.. Just helped with a refresher class yesterday.

R..

unpopular, but agree 100%.
Dive-master candidates should ask this type, really all types unless they are unable to get an answer, first from their instructor.
#1 give your instructor the chance to do his/her job, DMing is serious business and your instructor should be as informed about your learning curve as you are about your learning curve.
#2 your paying for this instruction, SB forum may be free, but you will often get conflicting opinions
#3 if you already asked your instructor and they didn't know, well..they're not very good:confused:

No rudeness intended, an apologies for my usual bluntness.

Don't think there is anything to add to that!

I'll add that I've been around someone who had AGE and Pnuemothorax. When the diver was holding his breath, he never felt any pain UNTIL he "blew"

That's a bit frightening.

Back
Top Bottom