New to underwater photography

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike D

Instructor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a Canon EOS Rebel K2, and have been messing around with it for about 5 years. After a few years of diving and taking limited pictures underwater I would like to get more into it. Is it worth getting a housing for this camera and using film for a while or should I look at going digital right away?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Spending money on a film housing is just silly. Even a cheap digital kit is going to be much less frustrating, and easier to learn. You can shoot literally hundreds of photos on a dive versus 36. Every shot you take gives you instant feedback versus waiting days or weeks to develop the film. Go digital, go digital and go digital.

It is hard to make a case for using film in underwater photography, particularly for the novice. I used to use a housed film camera and before that a Nikonos V, and the success rate was meager--truly discouraging at times. If you got a couple of good shots on a roll of 36 you were happy. That is why there were fewer underwater photographers back then (I'm talking ~1995). As a novice, it will take you months and months of effort to get enough feedback to hone your craft, and you will have to make a considerable effort to track your settings while shooting to make the feedback worthwhile. Go digital.

If you don't like my advice, though, I'd be happy to sell you a Nikon F90 and Subal housing, cheap. :D

I could not imagine learning to shoot underwater with film I delete 80% plus of my shots and then crop/edit the remaining 20%.......as I am still learning.........:)

Once you are proficient then film may be the way to go as I have heard that film is equal to a 40 Meg picture digital size........

The instant feedback is the key for me...........

A Canon G10 with housing and strobe would be a great place to start.........

Hope this helps...........M

I'd say digital, too.

Check out the Sticky for tons of good information to help you on your way then ask lots of questions ... there are lots of opinions on the many options and I'm sure you'll find something to get you started!

Thanks for the info.!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom