New to UW Photography: Sealife vs. Canon Elph

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divingsiren

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
After reading as many threads as I could regarding this topic, reading internet websites about underwater photography, and even asking my former instructor and other members of my dive club about their opinions on camera choices…I am still left with questions.

I am a newer diver, but now that the spring is here I’m diving just about every other week, or at least 1x a month. Given that, it means I’m definitely on a budget since buying my equipment last year, but that I really would like to take pictures of these dives I am taking frequently. I’m unsure if I should wait (probably months) and get the Sealife dc1400 pro or should use an older Canon elph sd780 that I can get for $70 from a friend and buy a housing for it (and eventually by a strobe). If I choose the Sealife, it means I cannot buy a camera until maybe in the fall, as I am still on a budget and have more important diving expenses (trips, AOW cert, dive computer, etc.). Which means, a whole year without any pictures. I tried the film cameras, and the pictures were pretty awful and limited. If I go with the Canon sd780, the camera is not $$$ (I own an additional newer Canon elph 300 HS that I use for above water pictures) and I could immediately buy Ikelite housing. Eventually, when $$ permits I could invest in the Ikelite DS-51 strobes or Inon S2000 or Sea&Sea YS-01 or YS-02 etc.

I am not quite sure, despite my research, how the Sealife Strobe compares to these other strobe options. I am also not sure if I’m sacrificing photo quality with a 2009 model of a Canon (or I guess I could enclose my Canon Elph 300 HS?) vs. Sealife dc1400 ? Either way I want a separate camera for UW, that I only use for UW. As you can see, I guess I just feel a little overwhelmed and really would like any input from you wonderful more experienced divers/UW photographers.

Thanks again in advance for your advice and patience with us newbies J

Let's slow down and put one foot in front of the other here. You want to take a camera underwater for cheap. At your stage, I'd work on buoyancy and taking shots with ambient light/the onboard flash. LATER you'll want to add a strobe, but for now that will probably be a little much.

Your best, simplest, cheapest option as I see it is to get a housing for your newer Canon. You know how it works, it probably takes better pics than the older one, it definitely takes better pics than the Sea life, and you don't have to buy a whole new camera. I had separate cameras for above and below water for a long while, and it really served no purpose. Now that I take the more expensive camera down with me, I ahve a bunch of crappier cameras that are kicking around in a closet.

Let's slow down and put one foot in front of the other here. You want to take a camera underwater for cheap. At your stage, I'd work on buoyancy and taking shots with ambient light/the onboard flash. LATER you'll want to add a strobe, but for now that will probably be a little much.

Your best, simplest, cheapest option as I see it is to get a housing for your newer Canon. You know how it works, it probably takes better pics than the older one, it definitely takes better pics than the Sea life, and you don't have to buy a whole new camera. I had separate cameras for above and below water for a long while, and it really served no purpose. Now that I take the more expensive camera down with me, I ahve a bunch of crappier cameras that are kicking around in a closet.

I think you pretty much answered my hesitations, and I really appreciate it. I guess, I am worried that by putting my newer p&s camera in housing, I'm condemning it to a life only underwater...bc I'm worried about if I take it in and out of a housing, then I'm risking flooding.

I definitely have many many things to work on while diving. Buoyancy, appropriate weighting, and just general diving skills that come with experience and practice. Constantly learning. I do not deny any of these things! But, I would also like to take some pictures on certain dives, especially when I am going back to the same locations... who can blame me when there is so much to see down there? :)

who can blame me when there is so much to see down there?
icosm14.gif
/QUOTE]

I certainly don't!

...I am worried that by putting my newer p&s camera in housing, I'm condemning it to a life only underwater...bc I'm worried about if I take it in and out of a housing, then I'm risking flooding.

:)

Umm... no, the camera will only be in the housing on the days you are diving. When you get done diving you remove the camera, soak the exterior of the housing to remove all salt residue, operate all buttons while rinsing it, dry, and remove the o-ring or leave the housing open such that the o-ring is not in compression. Additionally you will be opening the case every time you need to change the battery or download the pictures. Opening the housing is a fact of life. Save the paranoia about flooding until that moment just before you close the case each time. That is the only time is serves a purpose. Watch for bubbles when you enter the water.

And while I don't really see an issue with a newb diver having a camera (as long as they don't harm the reef), it is best you hold off on the flash until you have fully mastered all the concepts in diving. A p&s camera in a housing can easily be clipped off to the vest or tucked in a pocket. When you add a flash and a tray, you essentially have to dedicate one arm the entire time you are down to the camera rig. Until you can dive effortlessly with only one arm available, it's best not to put yourself at risk.

Happy diving.

After reading around I've decided to go the "lightweight and easy route" via a new ELPH 100HS and the corresponding Canon case. The ELPH was on sale at my local Costco for ~$100 and the Canon case was ~$65 on Amazon. Seems like a good deal.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?q5k4jc

Just looked up that case on amazon, as I have a friend that's looking for a similar setup for snorkeling. The only one I see for $65 is only rated to 10 feet. Is that the one you bought?

Holy crap! Dude you just saved my camera, my vacation, and perhaps MY LIFE! Okay, actually just the first one, maybe a wee bit of the second. But still, that was a nice save. Thank you!

I read the description for the DC-39 and then accidentally bought the DC-320L, which as you point out is barely sufficient for enthusiastic wading.

I just cancelled the order for the latter and bought the former. At $209 it's not the steal I thought I had but I think it's still cheaper than the decent/useful alternatives I've seen.

Just looked up that case on amazon, as I have a friend that's looking for a similar setup for snorkeling. The only one I see for $65 is only rated to 10 feet. Is that the one you bought?

Glad I could help out!

That price just seemed too good to be true....and I guess it was. Nice to hear it wasn't too late to change your order.

James

Back
Top Bottom