new TSA rules prohibiting lighters on aircraft

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I must admit Don... I thought to myself, as I was standing there at the "searching table" - I've got to tell Don that I finally got busted.

But that doesn't mean I won't try again next time (in 2.5 weeks) :wink:

howarde:
I must admit Don... I thought to myself, as I was standing there at the "searching table" - I've got to tell Don that I finally got busted.

But that doesn't mean I won't try again next time (in 2.5 weeks) :wink:
Did you see this article: Sale of airports' banned items proves bountiful ? Wonder how much they get for a hundred used lighters?

DandyDon:
Did you see this article: Sale of airports' banned items proves bountiful ? Wonder how much they get for a hundred used lighters?
I have not seen that exact article, but I have seen others about the same.

I was thinking more along the lines of buying up the pocket knives to re-sell at my shops.

DandyDon:

Leave it to the government to cash in on items that in general are NOT dangerous, but are taken from the owners with no way to get them back in the name of protecting us all.

It would not be that hard for them to setup a way to check these things, and allow the owners to get them back if they wish. Sure a Bic lighter is not something one wants to *check*, but in the case of a good hunting knife, or sissors, having a simple way the tag the item for later retrieval would not be that hard to do, and they could even charge for the service.

But why bother setting up such a system when they can just take the stuff, and then sell it for profit. I realize that TSA is NOT getting that profit, but our state government sure is.

Kinda like the lotto, while everyone is drooping over the recent payout of $124 M to the lucky winner, what most people don't think twice about is that jackpot was REALLY going to the state and federal government. The lotto was up to $360M. That was 50% of the sales so some quick math:

States - $360
Federal - $124M
Winner - $124M
States collect an additional $116M as the winner elected a cash payout.

So Us $124
Them $600M

50% of proceeds to the winner my hind end :11doh:

And that money was taxed at LEAST once, so why are the Feds there with hands out during the payoff?

Seems rather unfair, and why is it that EVERY time I turn around I am paying $100 to the school for my son's *public* education :06:

If our government was as efficient at managing funds as they are at collecting them, our country would be a lot better off. :soapbox:

I really don't understand the lighter thing anyways. My mom (who is a smoker) just left after a week of visiting and she had to go to the store to buy some matches so she could smoke at the airport. She was told she could carry matches, but not a lighter. Don't they serve the same purpose?

Melissa

It's all political. TSA rules come out of Washington, DC. When was the last time anything that came out of there made sense. For cryin out loud they want to turn over ops of us ports to a middle eastern country. I'd rather have the good ol American Mafia running them like the old days. Next thing will happen is they'll turn over airport security to Iran! I can see it now. No you may not bring your lighter on the plane! RPG and grenade launcher? OK go ahead!

ch0ppersrule:
I really don't understand the lighter thing anyways. My mom (who is a smoker) just left after a week of visiting and she had to go to the store to buy some matches so she could smoke at the airport. She was told she could carry matches, but not a lighter. Don't they serve the same purpose?

Melissa

I wondered about this as well. The only thing I can think of is if a potential terrorist has a lighter AND an aerosol can of hairspray, he has an excellent and easy to deploy flame thrower. Whereas, trying to light a match and hold the hairspray at the same time is quite difficult.

So, what then, are dive knives okay in carry on? Are they okay in checked baggage?

:bash:

JimLap:
It's all political. TSA rules come out of Washington, DC. When was the last time anything that came out of there made sense. For cryin out loud they want to turn over ops of us ports to a middle eastern country. I'd rather have the good ol American Mafia running them like the old days. Next thing will happen is they'll turn over airport security to Iran! I can see it now. No you may not bring your lighter on the plane! RPG and grenade launcher? OK go ahead!

Not in the last...oh, five years or so...give or take a couple of months.

:wink:

JT

What...?!
So, what then, are dive knives okay in carry on? Are they okay in checked baggage?
We're talking about simple cigarette lighters here, not weapons. :silly:

I find it works well to put the butane lighter in a baggy with a jump drive and a SD card and cram it in between the baggies with my various cables. Flew home today with the same lighter I flew with Friday. I'd prefer to be cooperating with rules, regs, and laws, but this is so lame. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom