New undersuit for neoprene drysuit: Bare SB mid layer, 4E arctic, or…?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drk5036

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey everyone.

I’ll be traveling back to the US soon and am thinking of picking up something to wear under my seaskin ultra neoprene drysuit. This drysuit is 3 mm crushed neoprene, so it’s got more thermal properties than a tri-lam but isn’t excessively warm. I usually use the suit if water temps are below 24 degrees. I dove with just thin wool undergarments at this temp in Okinawa at the end of November and it was very comfortable.

From 22-18 degrees I’ve been using a bare exowear (similar to lavacore) suit under the drysuit. Neutrally buoyant and seems to work decently well. Below 18 is where things get trickier for me.

I have a 150 g seaskin undersuit, but it feels really lofted to me, and not that warm. I did a dive at about 13 degrees with it and it was okay, but I was a bit chilled. But I also get like it restricted my motion a lot (putting my boots and fins on was difficult) and it also required something like an extra 5 kg to descent. So I’m looking to see if there’s something that will keep me warm, but still allow for better mobility and less weight.

What I’ve been looking at is the Bare SB mid layer, and the fourth element Arctic’s. I have used some other bare products and they seem to fit me well, so I was leaning that direction. The Arctic’s seem to have a pretty strong following as well however. The other option is something like the Halo 3D, but I’m not sure if it would be overkill? I don’t do much diving below 10C, maybe just 5 dives a year or so at that temperature.

Anyone have any suggestions or considerations for me? Thanks a lot!

I am looking to buy either one of these undergarments too. So at the end which one did you get?

Where (and what season) are you planning on diving?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom