New underwater photographer...real new

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

00scuba

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ok...new to this site and to scuba, but loving every wet minute of it! Wondering..any advice on underwater photography? First time out...want to do the best with no training. Any suggestion???

00scuba once bubbled...
<snip> want to do the best with no training. Any suggestion???

Personally, I would consider those to be fairly mutually exclusive terms. The only advice I can offer in the face of that point of view is to read everything you can get your hands on about U/W Photography.

Now... if only I could be the best instructor without having to get training. Hmmm.

~smile~

You have moving fish that don't stop and smile for the camera, you have lighting, current, you have your own buoyancy to maintain while trying to point and shoot while still keeping track of where the object is, and you have other divers including your buddy to watchout for.

I agree with Learn-Scuba, read as much as you can and fill the brain!! Then get out there and start snapping away.

Go over to the Underwater Photography discussion, there is a TIPS and TECHNIQUES thread right at the top. That should help get you started.

Get close to your subject, and then get a little closer.

Work on stationary objects (Due to the help Falco offered). Depending on where you are going, some fish will sit and pose for you!

What type of camera / housing / strobes etc... are you using?

Are you new to photography in general (on land too?) or are you an experienced photographer wanting to get into UW photog?

It makes a difference.

If you're totally new to photography, practice on land to get the fundamentals down. Then when you're underwater you can worry about staying put in a current, and framing your subject. Do read about UW photography, and how it differs from land-based photography.

Also - if you haven't chosen your camera yet - using digital will allow you to get immediate feedback on your pictures - and the best part is you can delete the ones you don't care for - no processing bad images!! The faster you get feedback and can make corrections, the faster you will learn.

I am greatful for the replies...i have land experience as a photographer...this underwater gig will be interesting. I hope to pursue some classes upon my return...time got past me...too busy working on bouyancy with my dive buddy!

Will let you know how I fair...

As this inquiry appears related to underwater phototgraphy, I have taken the liberty of moving it here in the hope it will generate more responses.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

I'm no pro but here's what I found so far.

All the responses are great! Take stills first like wrecks or reefs and like you said work on your boyancy, it helps a great deal!
Not sure what type of setup you're using but if you stay shallow you dont neccessarily need to bring a strobe or use a flash on your camera - depending on where you are diving. This just gives you one less thing to worry about when taking your shots.

Do read the tips on this board they have helped me.

Good luck and good shooting!

You've gotten some excellent advice so far. But I'd like to suggest that you want until you have your bouyancy very well established before taking a camera underwater. Also have your basic skills down pat. We don't want to hear that you were found on the bottom somewhere out of air because you kept forgetting to check your gages!

Thanks everyone...

used my vacation as a chance to really just enjoy diving instead. Had the camera once..started floating up because I concentrated on the pics...

Decided to get some more dives under my belt and read up before exploring that hobby. My buoyancy was right on....and felt extreamly comfortable....empty handed that is! oh yeah, the lights were doable for the night dives....much different than needing to be focusing on a subject.

Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom