New Video - Wreck Diving Monterey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did my dm mapping project there. Totally not worth the long surface swim the sailboat us OK but the Amtrak its less interesting than most rocks. Nice video tho
I've been told instructors do wreck certs there, which would be about at useful as just buying blank card imo.

Nice vid. Was that at Del Monte Beach?
How'd you find those wrecks?

Nice video. These dives look well worth the effort and I am sure that they are very special. I have wondered about diving these sites and the video answers a lot of questions I had about what to expect. Thanks for sharing!

Yes it is Del Monte beach. The dive is well worth it indeed, if you stop and look close, you will see both "wrecks" are covered with an astonishing array of sea life. Most are camouflaged. Here is a map, which I believe to be off a little bit.

Oh, and Mike, I really liked your use of 'fast forward' from your Montana vid. I stole your idea and used it quite a bit in this vid. I even added some 'fast rewind' at the end!

Sweet vid :) I dove at Del Monte once for my rescue class's checkout dives. I remember seeing some big sheep crabs walking around on the sandy bottom. It looks like there's a lot more sea life on the wreck.

Thanks for the map post too! I definitely want to go check it out.

Great video! I've never dived at Del Monte Beach, but the possibility of hitting both wrecks in one dive is a nice incentive.

Fabs and I tried diving Del Monte yesterday to look for the Amtrack & Sailboat... I think we were spot on with the directions on the map shown HERE, but we weren't able to find either site. It was pretty darn murky and green... Vis was at around 10 feet at best but the water was pretty warm :)

THIS map shows the site to be more East from where we dove... Perhaps the site was actually more east from where we tried? Any thoughts?

We'll have to try for it again when we dive Del Monte.

Fabs and I tried diving Del Monte yesterday to look for the Amtrack & Sailboat... I think we were spot on with the directions on the map shown HERE, but we weren't able to find either site. It was pretty darn murky and green... Vis was at around 10 feet at best but the water was pretty warm :)

THIS map shows the site to be more East from where we dove... Perhaps the site was actually more east from where we tried? Any thoughts?

We'll have to try for it again when we dive Del Monte.

The bearings given in the first link are good, although compass bearings are never as accurate as visual ranges (like the one for the amtrack, using the door and the monument behind it. ISTR using the first window on the second story for one of the two spots). It's been awhile since I had to search for them, but a reel helps. There are anchor blocks for the buoys IIRR 100'-200' to the west that you can tie off to, or else you just have your buddy hold one end while you swim an arc (if you're comfortable being out of sight of each other). In good vis you can see both sites from the surface.

The amtrack and sailboat are 110'-120' apart, with the course between them Amtrack 220 <- -> 040 Sailboat. The amtrack is kind of interesting, as I believe it may have been a derelict that was sunk deliberately. There are anomalies in some of the equipment there that led me to that conclusion.

Guy

Great video...we saw you diving that day and you were kind enough to give us the map to the sites...we teach the first day of our basic classes here and our advanced nav. dive training here...the day you were diving we were doing an ASD Nav. class...it was great vis for Del Monte...I love Del Monte..it has great life there...the biggest sheep crabs anywhere and long huge sand dollar beds....this time we say lots of torpedo rays and squid eggs and mermaids purse...we never found the amtrak or sailboat...

We returned alone the following wed to work with the map and get a better location...we found the right tree this time and headed out...it was great vis(20') till about 18' then it went down to less than 5'....we had to hold hands to see each other...we got to 33' and found nothing...we decieded to call it quits and head back...the only way were would find the amtrak is if we ran into it...on the way in that is exactly what happened ...we ran into it...its not big but your right there is abundant life...strawberry anemones...lots of fish..ect...we still decieded to head in and not press our luck to run into the sailboat...but we now have a good location on the amtrak and will do it again and find the sailboat...these would be a good nav exercise...

Thank you for sharing with us...Del Monte is anything but boring!

Back
Top Bottom