New wetsuit or layer skins under??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NJ to FLA

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am new to diving and I have only been on about 10 dives. I am 5'4" 105lbs and am currently using a 3mm Henderson Thermoprene size 6. I dive in south Florida where the water is very warm BUT..my body starts shivering uncontrollably from the cold at even 70'. I had to stay between 60'-70' while everyone else went down to do some spearfishin'! (although the visibility was not great..). My dad suggests I just layer skins under the wetsuit but will that help ENOUGH?? I am extremely uncomfortable from the cold and it's JULY! I don't know if I should try the layering or just get a new wetsuit. I know people don't like the idea of freediving suits for SCUBA but I read that they are warmer. My wetsuit seemed to fit for the checkout dives and the first few dives I did off of our own boat.. I only got a little chilly (which isn't bad because it gets HOT on the ride out there). But last weekend was terrible, I could only do one dive. (Body shakes and muscles seem to start tightening/locking)

Now my question(s) is(are).. Should I go for a size smaller? Should I go for the same size but 5mm? Should I try a freediving suit?? (I like the Spetton Black women suit and the Fish women suit a lot:cool2:)

Thanks in advance!

A freedive suit with an attached hood and no zippers will be much warmer. However, the simplest and cheapest solution is to first try to use a good hood. A well fitting 5 mm hood (or hooded vest) can make a huge difference if you are not now using a hood.

A hooded vest is a great investment. If your suit is a little loose, you can wear it under your suit, and if your suit is pretty tight, you might try wearing the hooded vest over the outside of your existing suit. Many new divers think the water is too warm for a hood, however most experienced divers will wear some type of hood unless the water is very warm (above 85)

I would not bother trying to layer Lycra skins, that's just wet cloth with no thermal value.

A polypro skin (Aeroskin) has some thermal kick and it's neutrally buoyant. :)

I agree with DD and can't say enough good stuff about a hooded vest. Let that be your first more towards more significant neoprene. In the end you need what you need to be comfortable and safe. We are all unique.

Pete

I have to agree with a hooded vest. The hood makes a huge difference, especially if you can wear it under your wetsuit. If this still isnt enough then got to a 5mm or even a 7mm.

Thank you!:) (keep in mind that I can get a new wetsuit because my mom needs one and fits well in mine:wink:) but.. I never thought about a hooded vest, sounds like a good idea. Are any specific brands "better" than others?? I have a longER torso, does it make a difference if they are a little short on my waist?? I looked online at some.. I've not tried any on yet.
Camaro Ice Vest Pro 2mm WomensI've not heard much about this brand..
Pinnacle Merino Lined 5mm Hooded Vest Women's I've heard good things about Pinnacle
Body Glove | Store
AquaLung 6-4mm Hooded Vest
EVO Unisex 2mm Hooded Dive Vest This is reallly cheap but is there a reason?
Should I look into renting first?
and.. if not a hooded vest what about this? :: Spetton ::OR :: Spetton ::

Thanks again:D
Andrea

For south florida, you don't need a really thick hooded vest. The cheap thin one will probably work fine. the length does not matter at all, more important is the size of the hood itself. for south florida, a thin, slightly loose fitting hooded vest will work well and be very comfortable.

If you are diving in 50 degree water, you would need a thicker and snug hood, but of course this is less comfortable.

The bare thermal skin chicken vests will do you a lot of good.

1. They cover your head which due to blood vessel behavior up there is a big heat energy looser.
2. They put a little bit of extra rubber on your torso
3. The integrated hood virtually eliminates direct water through your neck opening
4. The solid back prevents zipper seepage from making direct contact. Water needs to follow a torturous path before it reaches your back and that greatly reduces discomfort.

To work best this chicken vest is worn under a full suit. Otherwise the arm openings allow too much circulation in the vest.

Pete

I dive in colder waters, and I really like the Pinnacle Merino vest. I use the 5mm under a 7mm full suit and I'm fine down to 54 degrees in the quarry. I really like the neck on the Pinnacle which seals on the outside with the neck seal of your wetsuit.

Ok wow. Great information. And I guess you're right about the length of the vest on my waist as it'll be worn under my full suit. Yay! I'll check out some LDSs and hopefully be out in the water Saturday! :D! Thank you for the suggestions.

If you are in South Florida you should really check out Wetwear. They are right off I-95 in Hallandale. They only make wetsuits and do not sell any other gear and they are experts on wetsuits and wetsuit materials. They will be able to tell you exactly what you need to stay warm and why you are not staying warm in what you currently have. Even if you don't buy a suit from them, what they tell you about wetsuits will help you shop for the suit that is right for you.

Vests are great for extra warmth over the top of your jumpsuit, but your jumpsuit should fit you correctly from the beginning without having to wear something underneath it to make it fit. I do agree with adding a hood...they make a huge difference in warmth. If you go to Wetwear make sure you ask for Kristi...she's a sweetheart!

Welcome to Wetwear - Custom Wet Suits of Rubatex Neoprene for Scuba Diving and All Water Activities

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom