New wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

victorzamora

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm looking for a new wetsuit. The only one I have now is a 2mm shorty, not good for anything much below 75F. I'm hoping to be able to purchase a suit capable of allowing me to dive down to 60F. So, I'm a pansy when it comes to cold water. For example, I wore an OLD 7mm J/J, 3m boots, and 3mm gloves (no hood) in ~65F water and was alright for 2x45 minute dives but refused to get back in the water for a third. I'm thinking about a J/J again so I can wear the 7mm john with the 2mm shorty on top when water temps start warming up.

Also, since it's a hinderance, I'm 6'6" and 250#. I'm currently looking at Neosport 7mm J/J from Scuba.com for like $140 total. I only have $250 to spend right now....but I can just rent until I save more if it's truly not worth spending less. I'm not a "brands" guy but would much prefer a mostly black suit. Also, I think I can get an employee discount if it's a new Oceanic/Hollis/Aeris since the LDS I work at carries those.

Thanks in advance!

first get 5mm boots the 3mm boots aren' going to hold up very long. your good with the gloves. Should probably get a hood, you lose a lot of body heat through your head. Without going to a drysuit if you are getting cold in a 7mm i would layer. You can get some 5mm with some really nice seals and that will do the job better than some 7mm that are allowing the water transfer in your suit. The better you keep the initial water in the suit the warmer you will be. Neosport is a lower end wetsuit line, Henderson doesn't try to hide that. Go to a henderson aqualock or scubapro everflex has some great seals on them. You are going to be a 3XL with your size also

Good Luck

We have, 4 different Henderson/NeoSport suits of one type of another. I have the 7mm step in jacket (NeoSport), a 5mm steamer (NeoSport), a 5/3 hooded vest (NeoSport), and my wife has a 3mm steamer (Henderson). They fit well and are a good product for the price. The key is the fit, though, so if you can't try them on you may have issues finding a great fit. The NeoSport suits tend to be a little "baggy" around my armpits, waist, and forearms. Nothing major, but it does matter compared to my Billabong 4/3 and my Aqualung 3mm. I've found my 5mm has a ridiculous amount of compression/rebound compared to my 4/3 and 3mm suits too, but that may be partially a brand issue and partially just a thickness issue. I've never worn the 7mm jacket without one of my full suits under it, but the difference in wearing the 5mm & 7mm jacket versus the 7mm jacket with the other full suits is quite significant. That may become a significant issue for you if wearing the full 7 j/j combo.

I'll second the recommendation for a hood... it will make a huge difference in your comfort. I wear my hooded vest with just about everything from 75+ water down to 38 degree water and it will extend comfort and dive times dramatically. I wear 7mm boots and 5mm gloves whenever I'm doing "cold" water and I find I'm generally quite cozy with that. Maybe consider some 3mm gloves and bump your boots up to 5 or 7mm and I think you'll also find some better comfort in the cooler waters.

I also found this ScubaPro, this Pinnacle suit, and this Oceanic suit.
Another option I just thought more seriously of is saving the $250 and snagging a drysuit in a few months.

If I dive wet: I've got 7mm boots and 5mm gloves on the list, as well as I KNOW I'm going to be getting a hood.

One question I've got is this: would a cheaper 7mm j/j be as warmer than a nicer 7mm jumpsuit? For example: NeoSport j/j vs Scubapro/Pinnacle/Oceanic jumpsuit.

About layering, I'm also looking into LavaCore...but by the time I get a wetsuit and some Lavacore I should might as well make the jump and go fully dry.

My local waters are upper 50s to lower 60s most of the year, so you're firmly in my territory. I'd recommend a really good 5mm suit - something with nice seals all around and a watertight, sealed zipper, plus matching gloves, boots and hood. Most of the divers I know do just fine with a set-up like that, myself included. There are so many examples I'd suggest shopping around, since you'll likely find something that is just as good as anything else and at a steep discount.

However, you mention that you hate the cold, so you might want to take the next step up. I've seen some folks wearing the Beuchat 6.5 mm and the Scubapro Nova Scotia, and they stay toasty warm.

As for your height, you've got me beat there. If you aren't going custom, you might have to take what you can get.

The one thing I would point out is that you shouldn't go for a really thick wetsuit that has poor seals. I own a 5mm farmer john and jacket combo -- today I like using it for snorkeling, a bit of surfing and sea kayaking. When I used it for diving, it wasn't as warm as a well-sealed 5mm suit, despite having 10mm of neoprene wrapped around my core! All that neoprene is also very buoyant on the surface, but much less so at depth after it gets crushed down to size. Go for a tight, well-sealed suit over thicker neoprene, period.

Last edited:
if cold really bothers you, I'd be thinking custom, because at your height, I doubt that the fit is that good. I'm 6'7" and 235#. No off the shelf will work at all....

A quality suit is a long term investment, and will last if taken care of. It's a good chunk of money up front, but in the long run is worth it.

Welcome to Wetwear - Custom Wet Suits of Rubatex Neoprene for Scuba Diving and All Water Activities - working with them right now for a new custom (last one, a SAS lasted only 15 years - because I put on too much weight). My off the rack shorty sure didn't hold up a fraction of that. The cost over years, as well as the utility (comfort) justifies the investment (and it is less than a DS).

It seems like everything I've read states that (in theory, not specifically these) the Scubapro/Pinnacle 7mm jumpsuits will do better than the Neosport 7mm J/J despite 14mm around the core.

rhwestfall, if I'm paying the money for custom wet...I'll go dry :D.

It seems like everything I've read states that (in theory, not specifically these) the Scubapro/Pinnacle 7mm jumpsuits will do better than the Neosport 7mm J/J despite 14mm around the core.

rhwestfall, if I'm paying the money for custom wet...I'll go dry :D.

Did that.... and now adding another new custom WS because sometimes, it is a better option.....

in 23 years, I've gone custom WS, a custom DS, and now a new custom WS...

Hey guys....I just realized something. That 7mm j/j I was cold in in 68F water? It's a 3mm....which makes me feel WAY better. I thought I've just been whining about the cold and being a big baby. I'm looking into more Neoprene to take with me tomorrow (going back to 68F water in Vortex Springs).

Bob, this is something I've been wondering about for a while: when IS a wetsuit better than a drysuit? I know people that dive dry in 80F waters of the Caribbean. I have a 2mm shorty for that and think that it's perfect for that. However, for anything too cold for that 2mm...I believe dry would be a great solution! Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, I just confirmed that I CAN get great prices because I'm an Employee and DMC at the LDS. We're also trying to get AquaLung and possibly Henderson dealer status so I can possibly get that discount for all that gear. Hollis is releasing a 7mm wetsuit, they have their drysuit, and of course Oceanic's line. However, I think I can get a good Hollis drysuit for not much more than a good wetsuit setup. Whether I'm truly going to be dying for a drysuit or not will depend. A buddy just bought a Hollis Fx100 and he's diving it tomorrow. If he has a good experience, I'll be dying for one!

Last edited:
Its all about what you are comfortable with. Up here (Eastern Great Lakes), the stuff below 80 will put you below the thermocline, and temps can be in the mid 30's. I used to dive wet, but it is pure heaven to dive it dry. However, in the shallows on a "family dive", or in the St. Lawrence River where it was 75 degrees at 108' on the Keystorm in July/August, I just don't want to deal with everything associated with my DS. Early or late season, when either the water or the air is cold, the DS also shines. I've got multiple undergarment types depending on temperature, so that can adapt too...

I am not sure there is a "perfect" solution up here (aside from moving to the tropics).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom