New Wreck for Palawan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The ship is operated by men and women. People make mistakes. I suspect full details of what went wrong and when won't come out for many months.

Grrrr... why did it have to strike a reef in Tubbataha (or ANY known reef)? They should have been aware of the reef structure there. Someone asleep at the wheel?

Don't they use SONOR to look forward? This is a mine-detecting ship!
Eveyone who runs aground in Tubataha, blames the charts!
The article Sevenrider linked to says 'This action followed up on initial contact made by NGA on Thursday, when the mapping organization first realized there might be a potential inaccuracy regarding the Tubbataha Reef digital chart. NGA has reviewed data from more than 150,000 square nautical miles in the surrounding area and found no additional errors.'

I don't know if active SONAR is typically used in all phases of navigation.
Bad chart data ( if it proves to be the cause) does not excuse the incident, but at least it helps explain "how".

In 2005 the Greenpeace ship Rainbow Warrior ran aground on the reef and the Captain showed that the navigational charts in use at the time had the reef incorrectly plotted.

It is proves to be bad chart data, it truly is a shame that the incident from 2005 did not lead to a full review of the charts for the area.

If you read Philippine news stories you often find all kinds of embellishment.

Early this month the papers were filled with stories about the US Navy "Spy Drone"...it was actually an arial target drone that was used in an exercise off Guam that drifted into Philippine waters. The stories reported the drone type, so it would not have taken too much journalistic integrity to determine what the drone is actually used for.

So some people can believe that the US Navy travelled through sovereign Philippine waters without any agency in the host country knowing anything about it.

Or you can accept that the possibility exists that one government agency failed to inform another government agency about the movement of the ship. Which then gets reported as "illegal entry" because it makes a good story and gives some extra fuel to the fire for the anti-VFA protests.

I was at Subic Bay last summer when a US submarine made a port visit. It certainly was not a surprise to any of the government agencies in Subic, but is was reported that Malacanang knew nothing about it.

So I "suspect" (certainly don't know for sure) that there exists a possibility that somebody in the government was aware of the movement of this vessel through the Sulu Sea and this information was not filtered down to other agencies.

I guess people can also believe that Lieutenant Commander Rice, fresh off his Subic port call, decided that he no longer wanted to be in the US Navy. So he decided he would throw all the rules, regulations and operating procedures to the wind and Carelessly navigate his warship into a UNESCO World Heritage Site and play a game of Chicken with the reef. We could embellish that even more and add that he thumbed his nose to the park rangers when he denied them boarding on a US Navy warship.

There is one thing that is true...the ship was not where it should have been. The how and why will have to wait for the investigation (and there will be one) to complete.

Back
Top Bottom