New Year's Day Dive in Chicago

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

captndale

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Does anyone know if anyone is organizing a New Year's Day dive this year? There always was one held on the lakefront in years past. I missed last year and I am not sure if it happened or not.

Dive Right In Scuba:
Havent heard anything.... Is it just a shore dive?

Yes, it is a relatively short shore dive. We used to dive just north or Navy Pier, but that changed after 9/11 when the authorities made that area a "security zone." For the last several years it has been either in Burnaham harbor or off of Solidarity Drive in Monroe Harbor between the Aquarium and the Planatarium.

captndale:
Does anyone know if anyone is organizing a New Year's Day dive this year? There always was one held on the lakefront in years past. I missed last year and I am not sure if it happened or not.

Come on out to Gilboa and join us for our dives out here!

Ken

Notso_Ken:
Come on out to Gilboa and join us for our dives out here!

Ken

That would be kinda long trip. Especially after a late night welcoming the new year.

captndale:
That would be kinda long trip. Especially after a late night welcoming the new year.

Not if you welcome in the New Year in lovely Findlay Ohio! Or, even Ottawa. I'm sure Stinky's will be the place to be on New Years Eve.

Ken

According to several divers I talked to last night, the annual New Year's Day dive will be held again this (next?) year. For those who want to participate, he dive takes place on the morning of January 1st at 9:00 AM. It will be off north side of Solidarity Drive near the Planetarium. (Solidarity drive is the causeway that extends out toward the Planetarium from where the Shedd Aquarium is located.) Divers will dive in the shallow waters of the south wall of Monroe Harbor. No one organizes this event; it just "happens" each year. It is a great hangover cure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom