New Years Dive Cruise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divegirl400

Reaction score
:confused: Anyone going on Blackbeard Cruise over New Years?

I'm going on the trip departing Dec. 27 -- returning Jan 2. anyone else? I'd love to know who I might be sailing / diving with ...

Hi Mike, the trip leaves from Miami -- airfare pretty low right now if you can get a seat. Departure on Dec 27, you can board the boat at noon and it's scheduled to leave the dock at 3 -- return on Jan 2. I think Blackbeards has cruises that leave every Saturday -- Check out www.blackbeardscruises.com for more information, or call 800-327-9600. I've never done one of their cruises so I can't personally recommend them, but I've seen good reviews and figure it's worth a try. Good luck -- if you end up going, let me know.

I can recommend this operation heartily. :wave:

I can't comment on the weather in Dec/Jan, I went in Nov--bring some warm stuff to wear both topside and in the water. I wish I had brought along my 6 mil shorty, that would have been the perfect protection. The water is 75-ish. The nights were comfortable, something like 60-ish degrees, it's good if you bring a sweatshirt-weight thing, and a windbreaker, and some raingear.
The days were perfect--80 and sunny and really nice.

The diving is pretty good, although the reefs are not quite what they are in the Caribbean, but it's all interesting. The corals are sparse on some sites, although there is lots to see. I saw some things there I had never seen before, like spawning damselfish. (that was cool). Lots of sharks, some turtles, and some sites had more game fish than I had ever seen.
The water can be rough, especially the crossing, so bring your Dramamine. I bailed in fact, on the crossing back at the end of the week, and flew to FTL from Bimini on a Chalk's seaplane. ($144 one way, ouch).
It's a good week, especially for the price! Go! Go! Shoo!

Here are a couple of Blackbeard Photos taken on deck between dives. It's a little crowded, and you sure want to bring a couple of seat cushions.

Divegirl400 once bubbled...

I'm going on the trip departing Dec. 27 -- returning Jan 2. anyone else? I'd love to know who I might be sailing / diving with ...

I own a dive shop in Tennessee, USA, and I have booked one of my customers, Bernie, on that week with Blackbeards. Of course there are more than one boat, so you may or may not be on the one with him. When you get there, ask for Bernie from TN. and tell him Rick gave you his name.
We host about 45 people a year on Blackbeard's trips. We have 2 boats chartered in April already sold out. 2 more already chartered for May, 2005.
Expect a great trip, good food and good diving. Not the best season to go - water will be cool as will evenings. We are just honest with our customers and make sure they understand it is like a camping trip on the water. We get very few complaints and many rave reviews.

Did you end up going on the trip? I am interested in going December 28th -January 3rd with a group of friends that I went on another cruise with. I am really not sure the age range either. Please tell me how it is! thanx! :05:

Divegirl400:

I'll be on the one that leaves dec 26. From what I understand, all 3 boats go to a private island for newyears??

See ya there!!

Back
Top Bottom