New Year's Dive - Gilboa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

awall54308:
Stupid question...What is it like to dive this time of year, besides very cold??? What can you see?

The water temp doesn't matter that much. The 40 degree is all year around in most mid-west quarries. The surface temp is the most critical concern we have....:D

In the quarries you see the same stuff you saw in the warm water but there are no students and very few buoyancy control challenged divers to muck up the visibility. The fish are extra hungry and can be quite intrusive. I believe one of the trout was trying to inflate my drysuit so I would cork to the surface and die so the school could eat me--he kept ramming my inflator button with his nose.
Ber :lilbunny:

I had 44 degrees because my computer is an optimist :) What a beautiful sunny day for diving. We discovered that my little tent heaters do a pretty good job of taking the chill off inside the tent--Notsoken was our wetsuit diver/guinea pig for that experiment so his evaluation of the tent heat level trumps everyone else's. :D

I had a really good time!

Ber Rabbit:
I had 44 degrees because my computer is an optimist :) What a beautiful sunny day for diving. We discovered that my little tent heaters do a pretty good job of taking the chill off inside the tent--Notsoken was our wetsuit diver/guinea pig for that experiment so his evaluation of the tent heat level trumps everyone else's. :D

I had a really good time!

Yep, I will confirm that the little heaters did a good job warming up the tent. I was quite comfortable stripping out of the wetsuit and drying off to put on some warm, dry clothes. (I had left the clothes in the tent to get warm while diving).

Now, if only I had remembered the fuel tank for the kerosene heater I brought! THAT would have had it downright toasty in there!

Ken

63 feet, 42 degrees, 29 minutes, 7mm wetsuit, now that's diving!

mixdiver:
Well we had 42deg and great vis going down the road to the bottom. A good day of diving

I agree...this was the second year in a row we were blessed with good weather and good diving. Although everybody at work thinks I have a mental problem for jumping in 40 degree water on a holiday. To each his own I guess....

Sorry I had to meet this one, hope you guys had a good time. Keep me posted as to when you crazy bunch decide to make the plunge again.

Polly

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom